02 7.3 cold smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
02 7.3 cold smoke

Hey I have been chasing this problem for a while now. Question is ill start it up and let it idle not plugged in 25 degrees and it will smoke, but when I shut her down then fire it back up barely any smoke why? Then the other thing is when I shut it down in that first 2-3 minutes and fire it back it up the idle jumps up to about 980 and then comes right back down and it starts super fast, like the throttle is pushed down why? Like I say start up let idle for 2 minutes smoke bad raw fuel. Shut it down start right back up barely any smoke just a light hue. Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 08:54 PM

Anybody have any ideas
Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 PM

Questions is it the Baro sensor, maybe a TPS??????????????????? I am changing the EOT, MAT & IAT and Stancor Relay. If these don't do it I am going to have it reflashed.

Chris
Old 11-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like you might have an injector(s) sticking open? thats my thought
Old 11-02-2012, 03:17 PM

I'm still dealing with my own cold weather smoking problem ... Same as your - only when I first start it up
Something that had my truck run better was checking the exhaust back pressure sensor and line leading into it to see if its clogged with carbon build up
Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 PM

I have been through everything as far as fuel. I just replaced the gpr to a stancor eot and the mat and also the iat. Ill see what happens tomorrow morning. I can actually hear the relay click off and the truck starts differently too
Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 PM

Update today 25 degrees smoked crazy black blue grey!!!! Shut off start up no smoke. I'm going to try to get it reflashed maybe the Baro is out of wack and I'm taking my stinger plus out and leaving that junk out!! Any ideas guys???
Old 11-03-2012, 02:00 PM

Dang man, sorry your still dealing with this junk.

It does sound like a pcm thing doesnt it. Hopefully a reflash will get things straightened out.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:38 PM

Thanks bro hopefully it will.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 PM

i personally tested my glow plugs and i have 3 that are bad. I tested the resistance of my glow plugs in which i found out three had infinite resistance thus they are bad. I am not sure if this is why I'm smoking when i first start my truck up. .... my situation is say i park my truck over night then when i start it up in the morning it smokes for the first 30-40 seconds then it tampers off - i live in iowa and the mornings are 20-30F

Then i was at work for 10 hours and started it tonight at 11 and it smoked again when i started it up but only for like 10 seconds

If i were to start it up right now (its been parked for an hour) there would be no smoke ... it only seems to smoke when its been parked for extended periods of time in cold or colder weather - I'd check your glow plugs - my GPR was bad (completely fried) and i replaced that and my truck started better but still smokes then im on to the glow plugs.

Let me know what you find out

If you plan on testing your glow plugs resistance just youtube glow plug resistance test ... you take a multimeter and tests the ohms of each glow plugs - when you pull off the connector on top of the valve cover you'll see metal pins that stick up and the first two and last two are the correspond to the glow plugs while the middle ones correspond to the injectors - when you test your glow plugs i've been told they should read 0.5-2 ohms ... my bad ones were reading 875 ohms (infinite resistance)

this is my understanding - this is my first powerstroke and im learning as i go but def love my powerstroke ... lemme know what happens on your end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.