Synthetic Oil Worth it? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Synthetic Oil Worth it?

Just purchased my dream truck! 2002 F250 Crew Cab with (of course) the best diesel ever put in a Ford truck. It has arouind 240,000 miles on it and runs like new. I've only been wanting one for about 10 years or so...... Anyway, I'm used to running Synthetic oil in my F150 (5.4) and not being as familiar with diesels, I wanted to know what some of you thought about the value of running a synthetic in the 7.3. My buddy runs Rotella in his 01'. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome and congrats! Just to forewarn, you are going to get a lot of replys stating you should search for this since it has been discussed a thousand times and/or just pick one you like and go with it.

However, since I basically asked the same question when I was new I will gladly answer. I did a lot of research and decided on Amsoil 15W-40 pre-2007 (emissions) oil since this is the formulation our trucks were designed to use a decade ago. However, this is just my opinion and it is what I like to use. Also, if you get the prefered membership on the Amsoil website the stuff is not as expensive as say Royal Purple and I can also pick it up near where I work so I don't pay shipping.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:39 PM

depends on where you live if it gets pretty cold or not, I'm in south east michigan, not far from Detroit. In the winter months I noticed a day and night difference from switching from Rotella 15-40 to their synthetic (I think it's 5-40, i forget) but the dark blue gallon jugs, it made my truck start much better in the bitter cold. for that reason alone I run sythetic
Old 10-30-2012, 08:31 PM

I am an Amsoil dealer, so I am a little biased, but even before I sold the black gold I was a fan of synthetic oil. I can go on and on about reasons why, but rest assured your truck will thank you.

Now thats not to say a conventional oil from a quality base is not also good, but a synthetic oil will be even better; plus you get the option of extending your oil change intervals. This saves you money in the long run, even after you pony up for the initial premium for the synthetic.

Regardless of the brand you choose, make sure its a QUALITY oil, no Walmart brands.
Feel free to PM me with specific questions like wanting literature, links, threads, etc etc. I have a library of material on the topic.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:09 AM

I change my Dino oil every 3-4000 miles and it still drains nice and and clean. I use syn blend rotella 10w40 in winter and If I get any build up I bet it helps in cleaning it out.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:15 AM

So if you can extend your oil change with synthetic oil, what is suggested mileage on intervals you can go
Old 10-31-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclough View Post
So if you can extend your oil change with synthetic oil, what is suggested mileage on intervals you can go
Most will tell you to send in an oil sample to a place like blackstone and they will let you know the condition of your oil and recommend a change interval.
Considering the fuel system of the powerstrokes and oil fired injectors I personally like the idea of the cheaper dino oil that it came with from the factor and short change intervals.
I have heard stories of people going close to a million miles on a 7.3L with the short OCI's.... Regular oil seems to work. I would rather have cheaper rotella,change it at 4000miles and have it come out clean then have expensive syn oil changed at 8000 and come out black as tar.

In my mind clean looking oil is better but oil samples don't lie either, black oil isn't always ready to change.

Also IMO the whole can't go back to Dino oil from syn is bull turd. I like the idea of running a syn blend or full syn every few oil changes (with a good filter) to clean things up.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:17 PM

Synthetic oil is my peference. I agree worth shorter Ico. I run syn rotelia for 7 k.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:54 PM

Synthetic. We run Amsoil in everything. Not sure what was in my truck when I bought it, but it started much better with Amsoil. I use 15W-40 "Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine". (PRE 07) IIRC DPF trucks use the "Premium" oil. Beyond that, I don't know what the difference is between them.

I'm getting an analysis at 5k and I'll decide how long to run it from there. I don't think I will go past 10k without changing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.