New to PSD world! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up New to PSD world!

hey guys! just bought me a lifted 99 f250 7.3. love it!

had a few questions because this is my first diesel truck after all...

first of all: boost gauge only reads 2-3 pounds at WOT. shouldnt this be at least 18-20? turbo sounds like it spools up fine, and doesnt feel low on power (not that id know what a good 7.3 drives like) lol
should i look for a boost leak somewhere? if so where is most probable source of leak?
or could it be my boost gauge has a kink in the line or something?

secondly: the steering is very sloppy, figured it would be with 35s and 8-10 inch lift. is there any way to tighten it up? new gear box?
it has duel steering stabilizers, i should probably make sure those are still stout.

Thanks Guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 09:06 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Let me know if you need any parts for your truck! Any pics of the rig!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreene View Post
first of all: boost gauge only reads 2-3 pounds at WOT. shouldnt this be at least 18-20? turbo sounds like it spools up fine, and doesnt feel low on power (not that id know what a good 7.3 drives like) lol
should i look for a boost leak somewhere? if so where is most probable source of leak? or could it be my boost gauge has a kink in the line or something?
I think your gauge is most likely off. I would check the turbo pressure by monitoring the turbo pressure through the PCM stream. If that's working just fine, then you should look into replacing the tubing or the gauge itself. Either one could be busted. These guys on here will be able to tell you exactly how to do that, I haven't done it yet. But I'm sure the Auto-Enginuity OBD2 Scan Tool should be able to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreene View Post
secondly: the steering is very sloppy, figured it would be with 35s and 8-10 inch lift. is there any way to tighten it up? new gear box? it has duel steering stabilizers, i should probably make sure those are still stout.
You'll get use to this. The steering is really loose. REALLY loose. I can shake my wheel while driving at 45 and not move an inch. That's just the way it is on these big trucks. You'll get used to it, and you'll actually like it down the road. But you should get your tie-rod ends checked, make sure there isn't anything wrong with your hubs or ball-joints. But the steering in these is sloppy.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

found out the gauge gets its reading through the MAP sensor location. im going to buy a new gauge and tap it into the manifold and see if that way works, if not then ill look into leaks.

thanks for the info on steering, figured i cant expect much with a lift and 35s, will check TREs and hubs.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:52 AM

You can tighten up the steering with the adjustment nut on top (a little at a time) there are good write ups on web and here and there on ford diesel forums. If you can't get it at least "ok" a lot of folks go with a Redhead rebuilt unit, I will one of these days.... Search redhead+steering on forums and google.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Behavior Modificationist

Early or late 99?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.