Improving power and mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Improving power and mileage

I have an E99 350 SD with a 7.3L. I'm getting really crappy mileage, with or without a load. Lately the truck is getting a little slower to start when it's cold, but always starts after the "Wait to start" light goes out. It's also begun to kick out a lot of black smoke when the engine is loaded or going up a hill. I can switch chip positions to make the black smoke somewhat better, but the EGT's can get upwards of 1700, (briefly).

I don't get much boost either, about 8 PSI tops, 1-3 PSI while cruising. I am getting a trouble code that says I'm getting a boost over/under pressure.

I need to get this under control before I go broke. Fuel mileage has gone from a best of 14.5 to 8.2 now, so I know something's wrong. (I do have a fuel bowl leak so that doesn't help I'm sure.) I ordered a fuel bowl rebuild kit from Diesel O-Rings, (Thank you Bob for your help).

I don't have any boot leaks that I can see, and the boots are all upgraded, new last year. No visible signs of a leak anywhere in the system.

The motor only has about 40k miles on it, but the turbo could have about 225,000. I haven't taken it off to look at it to see what condition it's in. As far as I know, it's the stock turbo that's typical on an E99.

So what should I check? What should I replace? What should I modify? EBPV Delete? Turbo-Master wastegate actuator upgrade?

The way I see it right now, no matter what it costs, I'm still money ahead if I can get the fuel mileage back up to the 15-18 that it's supposed to be. We're still at $4.30 a gallon for diesel. I didn't even see an improvement when I switched to G-Diesel.

Thanks,
Desperate in Reno
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Are your egt's up? with the black smoke, loss of mileage and boost it sounds like it could be an uppipe leak... possibly a clogged intercooler, or your turbo on it's way out... i'd check it for shaft play, oil usage...
Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 AM

The egt's are pretty normal when running on flat ground. They only go up super high on steep hills. Most of the time the temps are between 600 and 900.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:13 AM

Bump.
C'mon guys, I'm dying here. I really need to get a handle on this problem.

Please.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Check for shaft play and your waste gate closing properly... Maybe put a couple turns on it, tighten it up see if that helps
Old 11-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

How is it performing? Normal or are you down on power?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:00 AM

Hard question to answer cause the 7.3 is so powerful, but I have noticed that it can't maintain the same speeds going up the same hills. I'm having to press the throttle down farther to keep the speed. On some of the steeper hills that I go over all the time I've noticed that if I put on the cruise control it's now downshifting where it didn't before.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

I was having the same problem and found that i was overpowering the wastegate and it was opening earlier than it should. I had bought that boost fooler off of ebay and in it comes with a little plastic tube to connect between the vaccum solenoid and the vaccum line to the solenoid, all it has is like a 3/16th hole drilled in it. It acts as a pressure relief and keeps the wastegate closed longer keeping the turbo spooled up. I went from seeing 10-13 p.s.i. to seeing 28. It is possible that you have a seal going out in the turbo dumping oil into the exhaust, not likely but checking the end play in the turbo and looking to see if the turbo output is wet will confirm that. look at the up pipes around the turbo Y pipe and look for soot build up where the pipes go in. more likely to leak there than at the manifold.

I did take the fooler part that connects between the plenum and map sensor off as I don't hit the higher p.s.i. that often. When I do the computer will throw a soft code but after a few seconds the check engine light goes off and clears from the computer when the truck is shut off.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:15 PM

So I'm rebuilding the fuel bowl and the very nice guy from Guzzle's, Bob I think his name is, lets me in on a little secret about the fuel line feeding the passenger side head. He tells me that it's a good idea to change out the seal on the end of the fitting. What he didn't tell me was how much of a beotch it would be to get to that end of the line.

So I decided to go ahead and take out the turbo pipe on that side to get a better shot at the fitting. When I got the boot off the spyder I found something troubling. Oil. Not a whole lot of it, but enough to pool in the bottom of the hose. Like it says in my sig; be gentle, it's my first PowerStroke. It's also my first diesel and turbo.

So my thinking is this. A little oil is fine, a lot is not. I really don't know what I'm looking at. Am I in serious trouble? I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the turbo, just to get a good look at it. Plus, I could use the space to get to the back fuel line since removing the pipe didn't help that much.

What should I be looking for on the Turbo? I have dial indicators, etc. so I can check a little more accurately than just guessing, but I don't know what I should be touching or leaving alone. I'm a mechanical engineer and used to own a machine shop so I'm not totally clueless when it comes to mechanical things, but if there's anything I've learned over the years it's that it's better to go in with a plan than dive in blind.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Some oil in the boost tubes is normal. On the driver's side valve cover there is a breather for the crankcase. It feeds into the intake tube going to the turbo. So...the oil comes from the that breather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.