What to look for - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 06:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What to look for

Im going on sunday to look at an 02 F350 PSD 4x4 CCLB with an automatic and ESOF. The truck has 373,000 miles on it but the guy said the motor and tranny were rebuilt by the Ford House 110,000 miles ago. He said the front end needs some work but other than that he wouldnt be afraid to drive the truck anywhere. Is there anything in particular that should be looked at on this truck with that high mileage. I'm not too familiar with the under side of a super duty hood so any help is appreciated.
Note: He said he'll give me all the paperwork from the Ford House for the rebuild.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 06:43 AM

if only 110k on the motor, really nothing to look for. The frame/suspension has the high miles. Take for a cruise and see what she feels like/handles.

You could, with motor idling, remove the oil fill cap and see if any pressures' coming out the fill tube. Also, if he/she allows, is to remove the air intake ducting to look at the compressor wheel. See if any signs of dusting of wheel/knicks-chips in wheel..up/down-side/side play..if so, need turbo rebuilt.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:01 AM

I haven't ever had the opportunity to mess with a turbo yes. Can i just take the ducting off and try and move the wheel around. If so should there be any play at all? Any chance you might have a picture of a messed up turbo?... dusted, play?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 AM

I posted this on another question some one else asked about what to look for: 2001 f250

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakiPolitis View Post
Couple things I would look for:

1.) Check the hubs on the front and rear of the truck ($175 + labor a piece to fix). Jack the tire up and then shake the top and bottom. Pushing the wheel towards the motor and away from the motor. If it moves, you need new hubs. I wouldn't want to see 1/2" of play or more.
2.) Check if there's oil in the coolant. It will look like brown baby poo in the coolant. That's a symptom of a shot waterpump, oil cooler, or something more serious (heads/head gasket, etc).
3.) Check if there's smoke coming out of the motor. At the same time, you can check a number of other parts to the truck, by making the guys start the truck cold. Get there early in the AM, tell him 10am, and then show up at 9am. You want that motor ICE cold before you start it. Check with your hand on the temperature gauge when you prime it. You'll want to prime it, see that the glow plugs work and that it starts as it should. You don't want a hard starting truck, unless you're ready for that. You'll want to watch the smoke come out on start up. White (blue) smoke means oil is leaking in to the cylinder.
4.) Hop up on the front of the truck and peer into the valley behind the fuel bowl. Under the power stroke logo plastic piece is the fuel bowl, and behind that you'll see fuel lines and then the crevice above the engine is where oil will pool. You don't want oil or fuel sitting in there. So while the motor is cold. Stick your hand back there and see if there's oil or fuel.
5.) When test driving. See that the turbo spools correctly and that it shifts through the gears correctly (no jumps, or hard shifts). It helps to bring someone who has a good condition 7.3 with you. Check behind the turbo by the exhaust for soot. Check on the tubes leading into and out of the turbo for soot. You don't want diesel soot in the engine bay.
6.) To test the 4x4, you can either a) put your face to the curb and look at the axle while he drives back and forth b) put the truck in 4x4, and then turn it all the way to the right or left, you should feel a shudder.
7.) Obviously, take it to see if there's any codes being thrown at an AutoZone or an Advance Auto. They'll do it for free. While down there, check for electrical burns, and check the PCM for any electrical burn.
8.) Bring someone with who can run through an injector buzz test and an inject contribution test. You'll want to know that there are no shot injectors, PCM, IDM, etc. Injectors shouldn't be contributing at different levels, they should all be uniform. You want no loss of compression. Could be a cracked head, bad head gasket, or even a faulty injector ($200 a piece + labor)
9.) Check the interior thoroughly. Remember if you beat up your interior, you probably beat up your truck. Good interiors are usually a good indicator that someone loves their truck (not always true, though)
10.) Check the frame for rust and for weld marks. Weld marks mean the chassis was bent and has been straightened out. You will never get a chassis perfectly straight. It will always be slightly off, if it's been in an accident. Which could mean drivetrain issues down the road or a lot of tires down the road.
11.) When driving, take your hands of the wheel at about 45 mph and see if the truck pulls in a certain direction. Could be a sign of crabbing, worn hub, very poor alignment, etc. Then perform the same test while placing your foot on the brake. If the truck pulls to a certain side you may have a faulty brake (remanned brakes should run you a $105 + labor a wheel).
12.) If the truck is over 135,000 miles, that tranny should be rebuilt or replaced. If it has been rebuilt or replaced, get the receipt (people will save that receipt). If they have the receipt, call the shop and confirm. If they don't, call the shop and check their records. Rebuilt trannies are pretty much a necessity in these trucks. The fewer the miles on it the better. I got mine with 10,000 miles on the tranny, all forged gears and billet torque converter.

That's just some things that I would check on my own. If you can get through that list with everything being gravy, then I would take it to a mechanic, spend the $100 and have them diagnose any problems with the truck. $100 could save you $3500 in repairs by making you not buy the truck. Take off the cost to repair from your offer, and you should be good to go. Always remember to inspect, inspect, inspect. And don't lose sight of your target price. If you have $15,000 to pick one up, you better get the truck for $15,000 less taxes/etc and less repair costs. I spent a little more fixing mine up than I wanted to, but she's my diamond in the rough. I also told the guy I was going to have to spend $3500 to repaint the truck, so his asking price of $13,900, just became a best offer of $10,400.

Oh, and aftermarket anything doesn't drive the price up. Whoop-di-do you have big tires and wheels. Tell them you don't like them and you're going to replace them, if they say that the tires and wheels alone make the truck worth $2,300 more. Aftermarket anything doesn't improve the price. In addition, if they have a short bed, tell them you're looking for a long bed, and you would offer $500 less because of that difference. If they have a long bed, you want a short bed. Don't waste your money on anything without 4x4.

Also, you should read this: What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD
Old 10-26-2012, 10:10 AM

^^^Whoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgesblind View Post
I haven't ever had the opportunity to mess with a turbo yes. Can i just take the ducting off and try and move the wheel around. If so should there be any play at all? Any chance you might have a picture of a messed up turbo?... dusted, play?
Yes you can. the wheel should only spin nothing else, and the fins will be chewed up if its real bad. There will be oil in there so dont be afraid of that.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:18 PM

here's a dusted wheel...
Attached Thumbnails
What to look for-dudted-turbo.jpg  
Old 10-27-2012, 07:42 PM

Alright thanks yall this was very helpful. Hopefully all goes well!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:38 PM

Thanks again guys. Got back yesterday after looking at 3 trucks and putting 600 miles on mine with cash still in my pocket. The owner of the '02 I had asked about turned out to be very sketchy from the get go and when I started asking him mechanical questions it got worse. Then he wouldnt let me look at anything mechanical on the truck or even DRIVE IT!! Also he magically "couldnt find the paperwork for the rebuild" when I got there. Had a bad gut feeling about it the whole time so I said have a nice day.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgesblind View Post
Thanks again guys. Got back yesterday after looking at 3 trucks and putting 600 miles on mine with cash still in my pocket. The owner of the '02 I had asked about turned out to be very sketchy from the get go and when I started asking him mechanical questions it got worse. Then he wouldnt let me look at anything mechanical on the truck or even DRIVE IT!! Also he magically "couldnt find the paperwork for the rebuild" when I got there. Had a bad gut feeling about it the whole time so I said have a nice day.
Trust your gut everytime, man. The guys who are proud of their trucks, who aren't trying to hide anything, will comb over every inch of that truck with you and will know and explain absolutely everything they did. If I was showing some one my truck, we would discuss how I replaced this part and that part, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.