Common mods? New to powerstrokes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Common mods? New to powerstrokes

Hey guys. I don't have a clue when it comes to powerstrokes, I currently own a duramax, lol. I feel like I'm crossing enemy lines!! Haha. But anyway, I'm here for my good friend.
He has a 02 7.3l just acquired, has 190,000 miles. I'm trying to help him out on finding the best mods to do to make his truck run efficient and get more power and mpgs of course. He is already looking at a 4" exhaust. He does haul with it.
What mods are good for the motor,trans for longevity and efficiency? I read something about a CCV reroute, will it be worth it considering how many miles it has on it. I did a similar mod to my DMax and I put a blocker plate for my EGR to get rid of the emissions crap. Just wondering if there are similar mods for powerstrokes.
He wants to get a tuner, just wanted to see what you guys would recommend, not interested in making a hot rod, just a little more power to increase mpgs and not be too hard on the drivetrain.
Does it make a big difference with aftermarket intakes? If so what do most of u guys run?
Thanks for any help on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Intake. 6637 setup. There's plenty of threads concerning them. Somebody with a picture should chime in, too. Or the Ford AIS...

The CCV is a good idea, keep that crap out of the intake.

These trucks don't have EGR, no worries there.

Tuner, go with PHP tunes. Stay away from canned stuff, such as Edge.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the response, on the tuner im glad u said something about the edge, thats the one he was looking at getting, i went onto the php site and they have different options to go with, what would be best for his truck? hes not planning on doing any crazy mods, just the exhaust and intake.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Mitch

I bought the Pheonix 6 position chip. I like it and I find I am happy with the amount of options that I have!.

First and formost, get guages (such as boost, transmission temp, Exhaust Temp are the most common) to monitor things. Then get the different intake, exhaust, and the PHP Chip.

If you live in a cold climate, it might be a good thing to upgrade the glow plug relay to the Stancor relay.

Search for Guzzle PSD on google. You will find a bunch of good mods for the 7.3's.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:38 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
gauges first... then tuner.... i would also look into Tony Wildman Performance Chips

-Raul
Old 10-24-2012, 10:48 AM

As Raul said, GAUGES FIRST!!! Then look into tuners, myself, I like DP Tuner... I them in both my trucks, and the Edge in the Excursion will go away when I can get the wife to ok the funds to replace it with a DP...

DIY intake/6637 filter, straight pipe the exhaust, gauges, and tuner... should be able to cover all that for $700 to $900, depending on how much you can do yourself, and what you have to have done for you... I do my own work, have my own welder for straight piping the exhaust, and got a good deal on a used DP Tuner, so I was able to do all that on the red truck for around $550...
Old 10-24-2012, 03:03 PM

+1 on the gauges first. But if you really want to work on it. Start by getting ALL your fluids and filters cleaned/replaced. Get her running 100% in stock conditioning. Then once she's 100% healthy, start to work on it.

Air Filter (Napa 6637 from FleetFilter), Exhaust (4" MBRP), and then your gauges, followed up by the chip (I dig Tony Wildman's. That's what I'm throwing in mine).
Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakiPolitis View Post
+1 on the gauges first. But if you really want to work on it. Start by getting ALL your fluids and filters cleaned/replaced. Get her running 100% in stock conditioning. Then once she's 100% healthy, start to work on it.

Air Filter (Napa 6637 from FleetFilter), Exhaust (4" MBRP), and then your gauges, followed up by the chip (I dig Tony Wildman's. That's what I'm throwing in mine).
That's really good advice... dealing with the little gremlins first is a good idea... check wheel berrings, sway bar end links, u-joints, brakes, etc... it can nickle and dime you to death, but once you work your way thru it all, and have a(n almost) rattle free truck, it's great!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcrawler View Post
it can nickle and dime you to death, but once you work your way thru it all, and have a(n almost) rattle free truck, it's great!
They've cost more than the chip and gauges I want, but it's worth it. If you start working on it with out the truck 100%, you're just going to start amplifying your problems.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:41 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Another vote for TW tunes. Might look into a 6.0 trans cooler since he is hauling with it. Free mods like the zoodad (basically cutting the header panel to allow direct airflow to the intake) are worth doing. Post up some pics ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.