Intake questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intake questions

I was wondering if I could get some help with what the difference was between the K&N intake versus the competitors? What is the sandblast issue with the K&N intake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to strikeforce
Go to your local speed shop, and ask for a "Mac intake system. You will find that you gain a lot of stored away horses.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Premium Member

http://www.powerstrokeforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=2642

long story short- k@n lets alot of dirt thru, which is not good for the engine.
the donaldson filters seem to be the filter to have, for now anyways. excellent filtration, and still get plenty of air in.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cool Intake

I'm not convinced by any of the systems that they better or not. So many systems are open to the engine bay air or they try to suck out of the fender well which is basicly sealed from a fresh air flow. Cummins spec for best mileage is 70 degree intake air. I was reading and PM'n a guy on the Cummins site who has a gauge for intake air and a manual vent to control the temp. I still believe in the cold air idea. My system is home built and 4" from the grill to the turbo. This was seat of the pants. The turbo can spend more energy pushing instead of sucking and its free air, just drive into it. Oh Marc, if your reading this, is there any info in the Ford family on intake temp?
Old 07-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsmoker
Oh Marc, if your reading this, is there any info in the Ford family on intake temp?
ive never been told a "perfect temp"...but somewhere between 60 and 70 or so would make sence, air is hot enough to build max heat when compressed but still cool enough to let the maximum density in and still combust properly.....problem with all that thinking is what goes in the turbo isnt what goes into the cylender temp wise, it would take some pretty in depth caluclations to figure it out real precicely, of which u would have to be able to calculate what the air out of the intercooler is temp wise...
Old 07-22-2006, 07:29 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Intake questions

Ok if you think the Kand N air filter is good your wrong. I have pictures I am willing to share to you all of what a K & N looks like after one day at the sand dunes in Michigan. I will admit I am still looking for a better filter. Everyone says it is about opinion, or they say just look at the test reports. Well for best filtration you are best to use the old paper filter by test results they filter the best. But they also starve the engine of much needed more air. Everyone that is using the donaldson type filter or MAC filter system is using by what I have heard not just on here but from people that have these filter systems the best filter system available as of now for the power strokes. The black dots on the filter is not dirt they are holes the size of dimes.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:32 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Intake questions

here is the picture
Old 07-22-2006, 07:35 PM
duct tape & zip ties

ok must be doing something wrong can't get the picture to upload. but if you want to see them pm me your email address and I will be more then glad to show the damaged airfilter
Old 07-22-2006, 10:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
basically you want the cleanest air possible in the combustion chamber.......there was a decent size thread on the issue a while back. Looks like that one is it up above......
Old 07-23-2006, 10:53 AM

Cool Intakes

I don't know, in my life time I have seen so many tests swayed to meet somebodys adjenda. I have had them im my vehicle for over 36 years and millions of miles with no signs of damage due to a faulty air filter. I don't play in the sand so I have now knowledge of that. Sound like more that I'd ever see on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.