New to me 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to me 7.3

I just purchased a used 2000 7.3 powerstroke with 143K. This is my third 7.3 but I sold the first 2 before I got to 50k. I took the truck out for its' first road trip today. I only got 13.3 mpg. This was all on the highway and I figured in the oversized tires. I do not know much about the history of this truck. It appears to have a 4" exhaust that is aftermarket. I just changed the oil and fuel filter once we got back in town. The air filter appears to be brand new. I was really hoping to get 17mpg on this truck. The air filter appears to be the stock Ford box. I have not had a diesel in 9 years and it felt great to hear the motor purr today. I got tired of towing a travel trailer and a tractor behind my F-150. The vehicle is a crew cab 4x4. Any ideas on what I can do to work on the MPG. I hate to put in a chip if it is going to give me transmission problems. This truck has the auto transmission. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

13.3 is kinda normal... You can get a chip, but it wont help much on MPG.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yes, I agree, your mileage is poor. Driving conditions, flatland vs. Hills, driving against a strong wind, bad fuel quality can easily ruin mileage and cause disappointment. A programmer or chip will help, the trans won't suffer unless you drive it hard, and that kills fuel economy anyway.

I wouldn't worry about mileage yet, but if it doesn't improve, then I'd start modding. All trucks aren't the same, I have one truck that clearly gets significantly better mileage towing than all the rest. Everything gets 10.1MPG towing a trailer at 70mph, except 1, and it gets 14.1mpg. I have had it for years, and I won't get rid of it, it is just special or different, & I can't figure out how it does so much better than the rest, cause I'd change the others too, it's just a good one.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 AM

i get 18+ regularly in mine there a few threads about cleaning the ebp tube and sensor and a few other things to help with mpg. Also run some Diesel Kleen through it can help.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am going to check the first few tanks to get a better idea on mpg. I made sure I filled it all the way to the neck both times. I am going to try to get my diesel at a bigger station also. The trip yesterday was all flat interstate.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:00 AM

also if your trying to make time running 75-80 your going to get poor millage compared to cruising at 65-60. 3+ mpg difference on my truck
Old 10-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6881 View Post
i get 18+ regularly in mine there a few threads about cleaning the ebp tube and sensor and a few other things to help with mpg. Also run some Diesel Kleen through it can help.
Agreed... diesel kleen gets me 2-3mpg better EVERY tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6881 View Post
also if your trying to make time running 75-80 your going to get poor millage compared to cruising at 65-60. 3+ mpg difference on my truck
Agreed that driving too fast will kill you.

OP, what condition is fuel filter in? Do you run additives like DK? You should be.

Also, what size tires do you have? Keep in mind if the speedo hasn't been corrected, your mileage will be off. My mileage is off 5% w/ 35's...
Old 10-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I changed the fuel filter yesterday but the one that was in there didn't look too bad. The tires are a 315/75/16. I measured out 10 miles on the interstate using the mile markers. The truck odometer showed 9.3 miles. Using this formula I figured the miles I drove on a tank were 93% of actual miles. The 13.3 was calculated using this info. It probably would have been 12 mpg had I not corrected for the tires. I have not used any diesel kleen or additive. If I can get 2mpg better it may be worth a shot. The speed limit is 70 on the interstate and I wasn't doing much more than that. I am not sure how far off the speedo is though.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:28 AM

I work for a highway department I would not trust those mile markers. One could be a half mile off and would not be uncommon
Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok. Maybe it wasn't as scientific as I thought. I may try GPS next time to get a better reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.