Can I drop a 7.3L into this? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can I drop a 7.3L into this?

I bought a 7.3L turbo diesel, I'm looking at a 99 F250 with a seized up 5.0, I want to drop the 7.3 into it
Am I going to need to make modifications to alot of things? I'm not too experienced in the whole truck building thing, some serious help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
1999 trucks didn't have a 5.0... Either your year or motor is wrong.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I talked to my buddy and he told me the same thing, so I just assumed he dropped in a 5.0 for whatever reason. But will I need a suspension upgrade and a new trans?
Old 10-14-2012, 07:22 PM

Location: Lowville, New York. Studying Mechanical Eng. @ Suny Canton
Quote:
Originally Posted by KunselmanCharles View Post
Well I talked to my buddy and he told me the same thing, so I just assumed he dropped in a 5.0 for whatever reason. But will I need a suspension upgrade and a new trans?
Trans most deffantly needs to be changed, different bolt patterns I belive between the gasser trannys and the diesels. If you going to put a new trans in it dont bother putting a 4r100 (auto trans) in it unless it is built(mostly if you plan on chipping and pushing high hp), otherwise look into the zf6. As for the suspention I read somewhere on here that the leaf springs are heavier duty for the diesel. Hopfuly someone with more knowledge on that can fill you in on the suspention
Old 10-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You sure your buddy ain't a little "special" and it's a 5.4?
Old 10-14-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I bought a 7.3L turbo diesel, I'm looking at a 99 F250 with a seized up 5.0, I want to drop the 7.3 into it
Am I going to need to make modifications to alot of things? I'm not too experienced in the whole truck building thing, some serious help would be appreciated.
At one time I was seriously going to drop a 7.3L into my '05 Excursion originally equiped w/6.8L V-10. What I found out is that going from gas to diesel is a BIG deal! I did the research and the harness, fuel system, insturment cluster, suspension and a host of other items were all different between two identical vehicles, that's if one is gas and the other equiped with diesel. Many have done the swap but from what I gathered it is a time consuming and somewhat costly project, and that came from two friends that already had done this swap and had identical matching donor vehicles as theirs at their disposal. All I am saying is measure 2 or 3 times before you cut, do as much research on the subject as possible. There are many powerstroke forums out there, search all to see if someone has a list of parts involved or possibly how to instruction.
As for me I found my 7.3 for a great price as to keep my Excusion and keep it the way it came, for now! Good luck on your project, I hope someone here can assist you in the conpeation of what you want.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Everything on a Diesel is heavier, Axles, Driveshafts, U joints, Springs, Brakes, sizes of lines, and fuel systems. I had a V10 Excursion once and looked at doing the Cummins swap, and decided a Diesel Excursion would be a better choice to start with. A truck built with a 5.4, the parts are even smaller across the board.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:38 AM

Not quite... the axles, drive shafts, U joints, brakes, etc are all the same. The front springs are heavier on the diesel.

It's cheaper to either put in a Cummings or buy a truck with a Powerstroke in it.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
No such thing as 5.0 '99 f250. And it would take a TON of work. Tranny, suspension, diffs, TC, rear end, engine management (HUGE pita), etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
You sure your buddy ain't a little "special" and it's a 5.4?
LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
Not quite... the axles, drive shafts, U joints, brakes, etc are all the same. The front springs are heavier on the diesel.

It's cheaper to... buy a truck with a Powerstroke in it.
Agreed! And far less of a headache.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.