Help with mods on 2000 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 05:50 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with mods on 2000 7.3

Ok after lots of thought I have decided to sell my Jeep and keep my Dad's truck. He passed in Jan of this year and I was going to sell it but.... It is a 2000 with 40K miles but he used it on the farm and kind of beat the body up some. I will post pics soon. I have an 04 Super Duty now with 6L and some mods. When I drive his 7.3 it feels like a dog compared to the 6L so I gotta do something there. The 2000 is all stock as of now. I just ordered a pair of tow mirrors as he had his taped on. lol

So here is the plan so far.
Needs paint and body fixed.
Needs new wheels and tires (original steelies on it now)
Chip (probably DP)
Probably leveling kit

Other ideas from you folks if it were yours?

I had a 97 7.3 prior to my 04 so I am a little familiar with the 7.3.

Any help and suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 06:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think most will agree with this and you dont ahve to do it in any particular order.

Intake- lots of people do the DIY 6637 filter, if you search for it you will find it. I did this and i like it, can hear your turbo scream but also still quiet when cruising.

Exhaust- Just get a muffler delete kit and also a cat delete kit if you have one, or you can spend around $300 and get a full 4" or 5" turbo back system, Only differences between sizing is the sound/tone of your exhauset, Unless your pushing around 400+ HP our factory 3.5" is suffecient enough.

Guages- these are a must if you plan to chip it, tow or a lot of heavy footed driving. Monitoring your EGT's, tranny temp (if its auto) and Turbo boost will let you know how your truck should run and will let you know when something is not working properly. Also when you chip a diesel your EGS will rise significantly to where you need to monitor them when hauling and when goin up long steep grades.

I would say after that then you should get your chip, DP i hear is good along with Beans, PHP and swamps. There are others out there so lookaround and see what people say about theirs and then make your decision based on your driving style. But in the end they are all very similar and will make you grin in your seat like a 5 year old on Christmas!

Hope this info helps.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 AM

Sounds like good advice. I will check the intake DIY. I think I will just go with muffler and cat delete kits. I am already looking for gauges. I have the pillar mounts in my 04 and like them. I will investigate the other chips you mentioned. Primary use will just be an everyday driver but will probably haul a load of calves to market on occasion also.
Thanks for the input.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 AM

If it were me I'd put a edge evolution on it just for the fact that its pretty cheap. Its what I'm running on my truck now... Not the biggest fan of the chip itself because it takes about 10min with the truck off to switch tunes but it has all of your gauges which I like... Thats why this weekend I'm ordering the ts 6position chip to stack on with the evolution. So the evolution will be my gauges and to read check engine codes and the ts will be my chip which is all on the fly......
Here is a the evolution Edge Products Ford Evolution Programmer #15001
and then you can get the ts for about $250
Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 AM

Oh and.....................
Old 09-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Emergency Services

A PHP Phoenix 6 pos chip is $295...don't buy a canned tuner...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 09-20-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted02 View Post
Oh and.....................
Thanks for the advice Lifted. I understand your logic but I had a chip and separate gauges in my 97 and really liked that setup. I did look at the web link though. Decisions, decisions, etc....................

Oh pics will have to wait till next week. I am heading back to the farm this weekend and will bring the truck back.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:15 AM
Banned

Sounds like a nice truck. Sorry to hear of your personal loss. Take good care of his truck though! I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

A 7.3 will feel like a dog compared to a 6.0, but it wont take much to get it moving faster than the 6.0
Old 09-21-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
Sounds like a nice truck. Sorry to hear of your personal loss. Take good care of his truck though! I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

A 7.3 will feel like a dog compared to a 6.0, but it wont take much to get it moving faster than the 6.0

Yeah, he was proud of that truck. He told me 100 times how many people wanted that truck. I kept telling him, "yeah before you beat the thing to death", lol. Yep, his 7.3 is sure lacking and seems like the tranny just slides along and at some time decides to shift. I'm sure a good chip will take care of that. My 97 was a manual shift but the chip sure woke it up.

thanks for the thought.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:57 AM
Banned

Yes the shift pattern on these autos is quite goofy. And yes, a good custom chip will help out with that problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.