..new PSD questions..
..so after haunting this board for about six months and trying to find the right deal, I think I may have found it.. but I had a few questions before pulling the trigger tomorrow; I told the seller I would have an answer for him tomorrow evening..
1999 (1998 build date so E99) Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4, single cab, long bed 7.3L PSD. He is asking $6200.00
I did the precursery check this evening and test drove it.. here are my observations based mostly upon the board's search engine on purchasing a new PSD and what to look for...
1. The valley and engine bay are dry, and there is no sooting on the firewall.
2. I did the oil cap test (turning it upside down to check for excessive blow-by..) and it just rattled off.
3. NO MODS. She is bone stock. Reese Hitch. No fifth wheel. ..even the radio is stock.
4. I asked about maintenance, whereas the gentleman (and the VIN check) indicated that he has owned her for approximately 4 years, putting less than 20k on her. He says he uses it for the ocassional 'project,' i.e hauling lumber, firewood, ect. The guy doesnt even own a trailer.
5. No rust!!! ..which is extremely rare around here.. its just now showing a few small paint bubbles over the rear wheel wells.
6. I took her for about a 20 minute test drive. Turned key, she was ready to start in about five seconds. Two cranks she starts right up. The temp gauge barely made it a quarter of the way up. Oil pressure hung around 2/3. I could hear the turbo begin to spool up around 1500 rpm.. plenty of power, shifts smoothly.
I asked about any problems the owner told me that during the winter, if I want it to start, make sure shes plugged in. He said if she's plugged in, she will crank over just like she did today, however if you dont plug her in the night before, she will give you problems starting. Glow plugs??
I noticed a wee bit of smoke upon startup, but nothing outragious.
So the problem.. and I'm having a really hard time in explaining this, so bear with me. I dont have a ton of experience with diesels, so for all I know it may be normal, though it doesnt seem right to me.. The best way I can explain, is that in addition to the normal 'diesel rattle' there is another rattle at idle.. like additional engine noise coming from the area of the turbo (I think.. ) It is present at idle in park, and when you put it in gear, if you are stopped at a stop sign or what not. Now, the instant second you press on the throttle.. the 'additional rattle' stops and it sounds like I am used to hearing. If you are driving down the road, take your foot off of the throttle and just cruise along, you hear it again. Touch the throttle, gone. Normal??
For the money, what does everyone think???