Turbo shaft - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo shaft

I recently checked my turbo shaft for play and I could feel a definite play in it I have up and down and side to side play. Is it time for a rebuild?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 04:11 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No, it's actually supposed to have that play because there is no bearing in there. That shaft rides on a layer of pressurized oil between it and a bushing so, there has to be room for the oil. That's the "play" you feel.

It's bad when it has enough play to allow the compressor to come in contact with the housing. If you don't have that or oil pouring out, you' OK
Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 PM

Ok thanks bud! I want to pull the down pipe and check for oil but idk how I'm going to push it back up and align it, because I have that banks power elbow. I'm just trying to figure out why I'm getting such a huge puff of blue smoke on first start up of the day!!!! Everybody says forget it but I just can't see why it is doing it if it never did it before.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:40 AM
Banned

There should be some play, yes. But you should need a micrometer to gauge it. Up and down is typically considered a no-no... side to side is pretty normal, as long as it's miniscule.

Is there marks on the housing from compressor contact? I'd def check the DP for oil.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:00 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
There should be some play, yes. But you should need a micrometer to gauge it. Up and down is typically considered a no-no... side to side is pretty normal, as long as it's miniscule.

Is there marks on the housing from compressor contact? I'd def check the DP for oil.
Do you mean to say side-to-side (3 to 9 o'clock) is any different, internally, than up-and-down (12 to 6)???

That doesn't make sense to me,,, a shaft and a bushing don't really know what "degree" they're moving at. They're spinning parts after all...

I think there IS an important difference between side-to-side (no matter which side you're moving it from) and In & Out. That's where you should find only slight movement as the "float" isn't loaded so much.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Do you mean to say side-to-side (3 to 9 o'clock) is any different, internally, than up-and-down (12 to 6)???

That doesn't make sense to me,,, a shaft and a bushing don't really know what "degree" they're moving at. They're spinning parts after all...

I think there IS an important difference between side-to-side (no matter which side you're moving it from) and In & Out. That's where you should find only slight movement as the "float" isn't loaded so much.
I misspoke and you are correct; you dont want any in and out movement. Side-side/up-down movement is ok.. but there shouldn't be a lot of it.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:15 PM

Turbo wheels don't always start scraping on the housing when they go bad internally. Mine started puffing blue slightly then started making a vacuum howling noise at any boost level. The exhaust side was junk/not reusable and there were no marks on the housing still. The play wasn't that horrible either.

Here is the guy I bought my Van Turbo off of . . . basically a D66 turbo w/a wicked wheel.

Gary 832-597-6406
HpTurbochargers TX
gary@hpturbochargers.com
Hp-Turbochargers 7.3 & 6.0 PowerStroke Garrett F-250, F-350, 450, 550, E-Series and Excursion
Old 09-11-2012, 06:29 PM

Well yes 3&9 and 12&6 movement but no in and out. I feel more side to side then up and down. I am most likely going to have the turbo rebuilt.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:41 AM

Another question cruising at 80mph every time the boost gauge would go up it would look like it was being a little irractic. It was bouncing up and down slightly when going up in boost. The question is why?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Banned

post a video. might be surge. might just be flutter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.