Buyin 7.3 - Got some Q's! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buyin 7.3 - Got some Q's!

Hey everyone,

Getting rid of the Duramax and settling down with a 2002 7.3 Lariat lifted on 37's with 130k on the odometer. Totally new to 7.3's but not new to diesels.

Why I'm going 7.3 - Big and cheap. Simple as that - couldn't care less about performance anymore (did all that with the dmax) - just want a reliable truck. I've heard great things about the 7.3.

My worry and question - its been lifted for about 50k miles. I'm not sure but I highly suspect that it hasn't been regeared. I also suspect that if thats the case, the owner got rid of it at the dealer with the knowledge that the transmission is about to be cooked. Having rebuilt the allison twice I know how painful this is and I don't want to do it again after blowing 20k.

Can a 7.3 on 37s run without a regear and still have an okay transmission?

What big things do i need to look for on these trucks? All i know about 7.3's is that 130k is "brand new" and theres nothing to worry about, to which i call B.S. Injectors maybe?

Any insight would be great - someone pls lay down some dirt bout these 7.3's

Happy to switch out of the dmax!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm on 326k miles, stock injectors.
Read up on the HEUI system if you don't already know. Oil changes are important.
A 4R100 isn't the best out there with added strain, but I'm still on the original one, same miles. I don't think I'd worry about it yet. Anyway, a fully built BTS is around 5k for a 4R100, other rebuilds cheaper of course.
Oil leaks on the HEUI system were common but not hard really.
btw
Old 09-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't have any thing bad to say about them.....
I own 2003 7.3, crew, 4x4. 100,000mi 35" tires, factory 3.73 gears.
It's not a daily driver, it's for fun not work.
I pull a boat once in a while but only 12 to 14 miles, and no hills.

all I can say is that I wish I had lower gears. With the 35" ties it made a lot of difference in the power (had 33" before and no complaints). My fuel MPG empty is about 14.5 to 16.5empty highway mileage. the 16.5 is with a tail wind.

It's been a great truck, but I regret not re-gearing when I set it up. Now the economy sucks and it's not an option.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info!

I had thought the 02-03 didn't have the same injection system. Errr... maybe the difference is the HPOP is located on the frame rail while the earlier models had a cam driven HPOP? (i'm learning... lol)

Are those prone to failure? Just looked them up and they're 800 a pop.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:40 PM

37's seem to be the height that a regear is "necessary" on these trucks. the trans on these trucks is the only real weak link. the only thing else to look out for on these trucks is a rusted/rotted out oil pan and the usually body rot. (bedsides always rot out on these trucks, cab corners rot out on the ext cabs, all the door bottoms rot out period on these trucks) injectors/motor will be good for many miles to come.

you will probably miss the good MPG and performance of the d'max. these trucks are slow and rough, but they're a truck! they do last a good long time!
Old 09-03-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Powerstroke25 View Post
Thanks for the info!

I had thought the 02-03 didn't have the same injection system. Errr... maybe the difference is the HPOP is located on the frame rail while the earlier models had a cam driven HPOP? (i'm learning... lol)

Are those prone to failure? Just looked them up and they're 800 a pop.
Nah, the HPOP is in the valley towards the front of the motor right behind the reservoir. Not prone to go out but gets weaker over time. Not something you'll have to worry about anytime soon and a performance rebuild on yours is about 450 for a terminator pump.

Injectors, etc. This all depends on maintenance. Oil changes are the most important maintenance on these trucks. Make sure it has been changed regularly with a good oil. What gears does this truck have? If you have 4.10s you should be fine. But really, it just depends how it's been taken care of. Check the fluid, make sure it doesn't smell burnt.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Banned

is it just me or does 20k sound too much?
Old 09-03-2012, 04:59 PM

^^^That, forgot to mention that
Old 09-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Matt View Post
37's seem to be the height that a regear is "necessary" on these trucks. the trans on these trucks is the only real weak link. the only thing else to look out for on these trucks is a rusted/rotted out oil pan and the usually body rot. (bedsides always rot out on these trucks, cab corners rot out on the ext cabs, all the door bottoms rot out period on these trucks) injectors/motor will be good for many miles to come.

you will probably miss the good MPG and performance of the d'max. these trucks are slow and rough, but they're a truck! they do last a good long time!
Wow dude your truck looks exactly like the one im buying, rims and all.

I don't think i'll miss the perfomance of the Dmax. With the Dmax I get tickets constantly for hauling ***, and I wear out rear tires 100% faster than the fronts. That and im constantly worried about headgaskets and injectors.

And yeah about the 20k - thats the dealer's price of 19,995. I'm definitely going to negotiate that down. it has front end damage (needs new bumper), so thats a minus. But the interior is pristine and it has brand new 37's (still has the fuzzy stuff on them).

I'm thinking 18 cash is reasonable - what do ya'll think? If its not regeared i'd push it to 17. I havent test drove it yet - my rational for gearing is this - at 60mph if its in the 2k+ range, its fine. If its down in the 1800 - rpm range, then it needs to be regeared. Is that about right?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:33 PM

stock with 3.73s my dads runs 70 at right about 2000 rpm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.