The Truth About K&N Intakes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Behavior Modificationist

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation The Truth About K&N Intakes

So Ive heard the good and bad about K&N products and thought that I would see for myself. So, I decided to buy the K&N intake and see what happens... How bad could it be? K&N is a trusted brand right? Im not going to bash them, but here is my personal experience: 5k miles ago, I spent all of my part time paycheck and bought one of these intake systems, spent a good 45 minutes installing it and was quite impressed when I was finished. Noticed better throttle response and a great open element turbo sound.

5k miles later now after checking/rechecking the intake every few hundred miles to make sure nothing had come loose/shifted and everything was solid, I decided to take a look at the turbo to get an idea of just how much dust and dirt this thing was letting in. I opened it up and was immediately shocked to see that the inner walls of the intake were caked with dirt!

This truck is my weekend driver/hauler and sees a slowly-driven dirt road once every other week (by itself and NOT driving behind somebody else who has kicked up a dirt-road-cloud). I had purchased a 6637 at the same time for fear that this might happen and have installed it immediately (still using the K&N intake pipe).

So for any other folks looking to upgrade their intake, I say forget the fancy intakes that go for several hundreds of dollars and look for the NAPA 6637... Cant be any worse than my K&N at only around $40.

Will upload photos when I can get to a computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
looking forward to seeing the pics.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I bought my truck used and it had the k&n intake on it. I run a dryflow filter tho. So the 6637 filter fits on there?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Behavior Modificationist

Quote:
Originally Posted by belz View Post
I bought my truck used and it had the k&n intake on it. I run a dryflow filter tho. So the 6637 filter fits on there?
Sure does. Fits right in and clamps down like it was made for it...so I guess the K&N wasn't a total loss
Old 09-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Behavior Modificationist

Here are a couple of the photos taken yesterday. You can see the thick layer of dirty sludge built up around the inside of the intake.
Attached Thumbnails
The Truth About K&N Intakes-2012-09-03-13.12.19.jpg   The Truth About K&N Intakes-2012-09-03-13.10.55.jpg  
Old 09-04-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgTires4295 View Post
Here are a couple of the photos taken yesterday. You can see the thick layer of dirty sludge built up around the inside of the intake.
Thats oil residue from the CCV, perfectly normal.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
A K&N ...guys don't even use them on quads and bikes anymore....pass to much dirt.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Behavior Modificationist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric@PTP View Post
Thats oil residue from the CCV, perfectly normal.
I know the CCV is going to leave an oily residue on the inside of the intake but all of this dirt mixed with it is normal?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i did seem to see dirt in the oil. appon removal of the factory system the oil seemed clean. HOWEVER i have drivin my K&N on dirty dusty nasty roads for about 30,000 miles and my tube and turbo show nothing near that bad or dirty. so perhaps you clamped the filter on and left a gap at the bottom or something.... i mean yes there was more dirt in the turbo than stock but not that bad overall.... although i do use a heavy coat of oil on my filter.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Behavior Modificationist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTractorsSexy View Post
i did seem to see dirt in the oil. appon removal of the factory system the oil seemed clean. HOWEVER i have drivin my K&N on dirty dusty nasty roads for about 30,000 miles and my tube and turbo show nothing near that bad or dirty. so perhaps you clamped the filter on and left a gap at the bottom or something.... i mean yes there was more dirt in the turbo than stock but not that bad overall.... although i do use a heavy coat of oil on my filter.

I checked every few hundred miles to make sure there were no chances of having any gaps anywhere

But I have moved on to the 6637, so I'll let yall know how this compares to the K&N (under the same conditions to minimize variables) in another 5k miles. We shall see which one is better (for me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, cai, intake, k&n

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.