NEED ADVICE!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 09:33 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NEED ADVICE!!!

Hey guys, I need some help here. I just sold my 95 psd due to a blown tranny, and I set up an appointment to go check out a 99 F350 powerstroke ext cab long bed 4x4 thats cheap and in decent shape. No rust anywhere (unlike my old 95) and interior is good too. Has 220k on it and the asking price is 5 grand. It is supposedly mechanically sound as well, and the lady said her husband bought it about 2 years ago off a guy who just had the tranny rebuilt right before selling it. (Im guessing theres no proof whether or not this is true). Anyway, the thing I'm worried about is the transmission being automatic like my last truck which had the same story. I bought it from a guy who bought it from another guy about two years back who supposedly had the tranny replaced right before selling it. The guy i bought it from said he blew the tranny line plowing in the october storm and I'm guessing that's what caused it to crap out when I had it. If what he said was true it had only had 5k miles on the rebuild/replacement. After that terrible experience, I'm sort of paranoid about buying this truck, and I want some things cleared up before I make my decision. I'll start off with what it will be used for: I'm 16 years old, and pretty much the only thing it will be towing is a 7x10 landscape trailer. Other than that, I will be plowing some driveways with it in the winter but no lots or anything like that. It will be my daily driver as well. Now for mods: Eventually I'd like to have a 4 inch exhaust, an intake, and a 6 position chip (If the tranny can handle it). Nothing crazy. Basically I want to know how well the stock auto will hold up to the plowing and the small mods, mainly the chip. I also want to know what the most affordable way to upgrade the trans would be if it wouldnt hold up in this application. Thanks for any help.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Serving Our Country!

if all your doing is landscaping and plowing snow, you don't need a 350, to me thats a little overkill but to each is own, i'd forget that truck and get a 250 4x4 w/ a 6spd and you'll be fine.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:37 AM

yea i know but it seems like a good deal and I dont have the money for a 6 speed lol
Old 09-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i have an auto with a php chip and mine does great. 310k miles. if the trans is good it will handle light mods fine, as long as you dont drive like a fool. you can also put a valve body and TC in it to toughen it up a bit.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.alford View Post
i have an auto with a php chip and mine does great. 310k miles. if the trans is good it will handle light mods fine, as long as you dont drive like a fool. you can also put a valve body and TC in it to toughen it up a bit.
has your trans had any recent upgrades
Old 09-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzarlenga View Post
has your trans had any recent upgrades
none at all. bone stock
Old 09-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

if you want the truck buy it! drive it, and start saving in case something does break.. or do it like i did.. i got a auto but i already have a zf6 freshly rebuilt and all im doing is getting parts for the swap taking my time because it gets expensive real fast! my truck also has 312k on it and i very worried that its going to blow but ive also prepared my self for that (12valve cummins) prepare your self thats all the advice i can give you.. try to get a back up truck..
GOOD LUCK!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.