Tstat change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tstat change

How much coolant do I need to drain to change my thermostat? 2-3 Gallons? Thanks for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 05:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I parked mine on my driveway with the front inclined down. Popped the hose off and tstat out. I would say I lost less than a gallon. Now on a level surface or inclined up, you lose a lot more. Something to consider. I also recommend spending the extra money and getting the billet tstat housing if you don't already have one.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:34 PM

Thanks, I did order dieselsites housing. I'm trying to drain (from the drain valve on the bottom of the radiator) the coolant and reuse it. I know I should flush and I intend to at some point, but I would like to get a new thermostat in asap. Mine is most likely stuck open. So with limited time and money I'm just planning to swap in a new thermostat tomorrow after work. My truck takes forever to get to temp, and its hard to even get to 180 on the OIL temp. My CTS won't read ECT.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:10 AM

Quote:
I would say I lost less than a gallon
You mean you lost a gallon from the thermostat housing? Or you only had to drain a gallon from the radiator?
Old 08-30-2012, 03:19 AM

I'd drain a gallon or two from the radiator, but shouldn't need much more than that.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:28 PM

Did the swap. It all went smooth. For those interested in how much coolant needs to be drained to JUST change the thermostat, the answer is about 2 gallons (pretty good Zaairman!). Dieselsite recommends to just drain enough that the degas bottle is empty. Well thats pretty close, but if you squeeze the upper radiator hose you can feel if there is coolant still in it(no brainer). I let it out till there was no coolant in the hose then quit draining. Once the hose was off there was alittle in the neck of the thermostat housing so I drained for another maybe 10 seconds (BTW truck was on the level). You can watch the level go down in the neck of the housing. At that point it was just clean the area and swap. Got it put back together and no leaks what so ever, plus didn't even lose a half ounce of coolant. I realize that usually you do a flush or top off with this, but for those that have fresh coolant or ELC and just need to change the thermostat, this is an option! Thanks for all the help! Hope this answers questions similar to the ones I had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.