Putting power from motor to the ground - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Putting power from motor to the ground

I have a 2000 7.3. And I just put a cold air intake 4" turbo back exhaust with muffler a ts 6 position chip and a blow off valve. Fun to drive but when I put my foot down It doesn't feel like I'm being pushed back into my seat like I should be any one know what eles I can do? It is the original trans. It's a strong pull but I just think it could be stronger that's really all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Carrollton Ohio
Posts: 8,839
Thanks: 65
Thanked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Why would you install a blow off valve on a diesel??? They serve absolutely no purpose on a diesel engine. Except to scale up your ricer status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-29-2012, 03:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 338
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much boost are you making? What tunes do you have on you chip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-29-2012, 05:12 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC/Buff, NY/Midlothian, VA
Posts: 5,630
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt diesel View Post
I have a 2000 7.3. And I just put a cold air intake 4" turbo back exhaust with muffler a ts 6 position chip and a blow off valve. Fun to drive but when I put my foot down It doesn't feel like I'm being pushed back into my seat like I should be any one know what eles I can do? It is the original trans. It's a strong pull but I just think it could be stronger that's really all.
You drive an 8,000lb work truck built to haul. If you want to be "pressed into the seat", buy a mustang.

Why would you put a blow off valve onto a motor with no throttle plates? That makes no sense.

What kind of "cold air intake"? Why would you waste time and money on a cold air intake on an INTERCOOLED turbodiesel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-29-2012, 05:43 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,753
Thanks: 3
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post

What kind of "cold air intake"? Why would you waste time and money on a cold air intake on an INTERCOOLED turbodiesel?
Because the intercooler only does so much. Cold air going into the intercooler gets cooler than hot air. Granted, you're not going to get colder than ambient temp, but 100* is better than 140*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC/Buff, NY/Midlothian, VA
Posts: 5,630
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon View Post
Because the intercooler only does so much. Cold air going into the intercooler gets cooler than hot air. Granted, you're not going to get colder than ambient temp, but 100* is better than 140*.
The IAT differences between cai/sri on an IC'd application are typically within 10* on the high side. Once you start moving, the 6637 or whatever sri intake would be receiving IAT charge from the incoming rushing air.

Plus, it's a truck... how you gonna do work with it if your worried about sucking water in.

The IC's in these trucks are huge. Running a 6637 filter over a pos "cai" will not run any worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-29-2012, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 185
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First off a CAI, does lower the temp of intake air charge. They are usually high enough not to suck in water, unless off-roading. And 85 305 you have given some pretty bad advice on a couple threads, so I just had to say something... Back to the point. Jt, did you buy a blow off valve or a waste gate? What tunes do you have on your chip? How much boost are you making? Do you blow black smoke when you stand on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-29-2012, 06:09 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC/Buff, NY/Midlothian, VA
Posts: 5,630
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrz13 View Post
First off a CAI, does lower the temp of intake air charge. They are usually high enough not to suck in water, unless off-roading. And 85 305 you have given some pretty bad advice on a couple threads, so I just had to say something... Back to the point. Jt, did you buy a blow off valve or a waste gate? What tunes do you have on your chip? How much boost are you making? Do you blow black smoke when you stand on it?
If you really think that a makes noticeable difference over say, a 6637 or afe, then you haven't been in the game very long. I have owned ridiculous amounts of turbo'd cars, supercharged, and a handful of turbodiesels. All of them intercooled minus the SC'd car. When you are driving down the road, underhood temps are damn near static temp. If you are 10* over static temp, your running hot. And lets pretend that we didn't have a gargantuan intercooler mounted to the front of the truck, supplied with 3" aluminum piping, sure... I could see your argument on a cai lowering intake temps.

i'd be tickled to have you show me where my bad advice is, since you must be quite good with these trucks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-29-2012, 06:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 376
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrz13 View Post
First off a CAI, does lower the temp of intake air charge. They are usually high enough not to suck in water, unless off-roading. And 85 305 you have given some pretty bad advice on a couple threads, so I just had to say something... Back to the point. Jt, did you buy a blow off valve or a waste gate? What tunes do you have on your chip? How much boost are you making? Do you blow black smoke when you stand on it?
305 is correct on this, the temp of the air coming out if the IC is the same wether the temp in the engine bay is hoter or cooler. Someone just did a write up on this proving that the temps are the same wether you have Cold Air Intake or just an open element filter under the hood.

Yes the temps were different AT THE FILTER but once cycled trought the IC the temps were exactly the same. Therefor a Cold Air Intake is worthless on our vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-29-2012, 06:15 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC/Buff, NY/Midlothian, VA
Posts: 5,630
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarportMechanic View Post
305 is correct on this, the temp of the air coming out if the IC is the same wether the temp in the engine bay is hoter or cooler. Someone just did a write up on this proving that the temps are the same wether you have Cold Air Intake or just an open element filter under the hood.

Yes the temps were different AT THE FILTER but once cycled trought the IC the temps were exactly the same. Therefor a Cold Air Intake is worthless on our vehicles.
I've seen numerous tests on this, on all makes and models of diesels and the results have always been exactly as you stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors