Short Trips? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 08:03 PM
You're killing me Smalls

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Short Trips?

I am currently working at the GM Assembly Plant here in Wentzville, as an electrician (outside contractor), for the upcoming Colorado truck line. The problem I have is that I live between 1 to 1.5 miles away. What should I do to make sure I don't mess anything up since the truck doesn't warm up at all? Stop driving it? Take a longer route to work? Any ideas would be helpful.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 PM
You're killing me Smalls

Old 08-29-2012, 04:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Let it warm up a bit in the morning and don't run the helll out of it and shut it down with the turbo hot. I would ride a bike or walk if I were that close.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
As long as you give it a min to warm up before you drive it, I wouldn't worry about it. Don't expect miracles in fuel economy though.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jse51599 View Post
I am currently working at the GM Assembly Plant here in Wentzville, as an electrician (outside contractor), for the upcoming Colorado truck line. The problem I have is that I live between 1 to 1.5 miles away. What should I do to make sure I don't mess anything up since the truck doesn't warm up at all? Stop driving it? Take a longer route to work? Any ideas would be helpful.........
How about worrying less and driving more

Its not a big deal. Just drive it.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Premium Member

It is a big deal to not let your truck warm up. Trucks don't like always running cold. You can fire it up, make a pot of coffee, drink a few cups, then head to work, make another pot of coffee, drink a few more cups, then shut it down. Or, just get a bike, go for a jog, something other than drive. 1-2 miles really is too short to spend driving, unless the neighborhood just sucks that bad.

If it's a safety aspect, use the block heater overnight. You'll enjoy having it plugged in over the winter, so you might as well get a system started. I'm guessing the MO winters are very similar to OK where it doesn't really snow, but ice storms are an annual thing. The block heater will keep everything warm enough that it'll be up to temp once you get to work. You still need to let it idle to cool down the EGT's before you shut down though. That will help save the turbo.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:41 AM
Banned

I've put a few hundred thousand miles on my diesels... no, they by nature dont like the cold, but it will be fine. You dont need to do the whole song and dance and all that crap waiting for the truck to warm up. Get in, start it up, put your seatbelt on, put your news talk radio on, and drive. It's really just that easy

Drive easy, of course!!

EDIT: Oh ya, and if it's only a few miles, there should be NO reason why your turbo is hot enough to keep the truck on for a few minutes to let it cool down.

Last edited by 85_305; 08-29-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:43 AM
You're killing me Smalls

Thanks for the replies .... I should mention that I'll only be here for a couple more weeks so maybe it won't be too big of a deal. I thought about the bike deal, but I couldn't see myself putting a basket on it to hold my lunchbox.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.