Replacing Ball Joints $650 Good Price? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacing Ball Joints $650 Good Price?

Need to replace the ball joints (both sides) on my 2001 4-wheel drive w/150k miles. Thought about doing myself, but didn't have a ball joint press and neither of the local 2 automotive shops (I live in a rural area) rent the tool or do this for you. I really didn't want to go out and buy a press that I may only use one time! Anyway, checked with a local repair shop and they said they'd change all the ball joints with MOOG parts and the cost would be $650. Add another $60 if an alignment is needed. After I figured buying the parts myself and a ball joint press, this $650 sounds pretty reasonable. Your thoughts ... is that the going price?

PS .. I changed the steering box about 2 months ago so when this is done, should drive like new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 03:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The $650 sounds awfully low to me. Once you add up all the Moog parts (uppers and lowers, correct?), then necessary seals, you're at like $300. If they will be replacing everything, then yeah, it's a good deal.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thats not to bad of a price, I run a little mechanic shop and I get around $600 to do super duty ball joints. The larger shops around with more overhead charge around $750-$800.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
The $650 sounds awfully low to me. Once you add up all the Moog parts (uppers and lowers, correct?), then necessary seals, you're at like $300. If they will be replacing everything, then yeah, it's a good deal.
tried watching the video clip of your 5" sewer pipe exhaust but it was prompting me for a password.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks all for the response/opinions. Think I will go a head a let the small local shop do the job, I'm just running out of time to do myself plus I don't have the press available.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay, now I've changed the steering box and upper/lower ball joints and had it aligned, but the vehcile still "ducks and dives" when driving. It seems that the center is a hard spot and everytime you move the wheel one way or the other then turns rather fast one way or the other. I've tried loosening the steering box adjustment thinking that it felt too tight, but did not make a difference other than more sloppy so will set it back to the original position. Any ideas to make the truck drive better? This is really noticeable when pulling a trailer as this does make the trailer unstable as you go back and forth between the lines on the road.

2001 F250 XLT 7.3 152kmiles
Old 09-27-2012, 07:07 AM

How do all you tie rod ends look (and feel)? They have a lot to do with your steering as well.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:22 AM

Get a dual stabilizer shock setup from Rough Country or Rancho and check your rod ends and front shocks. Also if your front axle u-joints are bad this will cause exactly what you are describing. Should've done those when you had the ball joints done.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Tie rods are okay both sides ... had the wife wiggle the wheel back and forth while I looked and felt ... then are tight. Didn't think about the u-joints so could be the culprit, but don't the u-joints usually make some kind of noise when they start to go bad? Such as when you are turning one way or the other? Some have said that perhaps I just need to drive it a little more to get everything loosened up, but I tend to think it is too stiff and just won't loosen up and drive like it should.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

$740-800 is the going rate where I'm located.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.