Stumped with an Injector faint buzzing situation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Stumped with an Injector faint buzzing situation

Ok guys I'll start this from the top. I bought a 2001 reg cab 4x4 7.3 off craiglist for 1800 bucks. The previous owner set fire to the dash area to file and insurance claim...what a douche. It burned a little bit of the dash, headliner, carpet and steering column. It still turned over when I looked at it in the guys driveway. So we loaded it on the trailer and brought it home. I got all the replacement interior parts and started to get to work. I repaired charred parts of the dash wiring harness (with the dash removed). The only parts that were really burned were radio, column and HVAC harness. I replaced the column and reassembled.

So.... The truck cranks over great but no fire. I hooked up my AE and checked everything. It has plenty of HPO, Voltage, the tach moves, etc.... All of the fuses are in tact. The injectors flat out won't fire. When I do a buzz test I get just faint buzzes from the injectors. It's something I've heard before but only when the harness's are mistakenly not plugged in. The worst part is the buzz test comes back with no IDM codes. I have a spare IDM and PCM which I tried and NO fire. I ohmed all the wires from the IDM to the injectors which are all good. The IDM has voltage and good ground. I've been working on these truck for 10 years and never seen something like this.... I am so freaking stumped! HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 06:30 PM

Problem solved. After talking with Jim at rosewood diesel I inspected the injectors and found all of them to be worn badly. The clearances were so great that the selonoids couldn' lift the armatures. I rebuilt them and the truck starts and runs great. Pretty stoked now that I,ve got my 1800 dollar PSD running!
Old 09-05-2012, 04:18 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for updating the thread, and good luck with the truck... sounds like a hell of a steal.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:26 AM

Rebuilt them yourself?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 09-05-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnot View Post
Rebuilt them yourself?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Yes. I started doing this 4 years ago because my Dad has like 6 7.3's. I buy the parts from rosewood and machine, reseal and inspect them myself. It isn't for everyone but saves big bucks over buying new ones. We bought re-manned ones from some crappy diesel place on line and they lasted 2 months. I won't do that again.Cost's me about 200 bucks to do myself. Only problem is i can't bench test them so they get tested in the truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.