Pulling motor need help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pulling motor need help!

I have 2002 F-350 and I am pulling the motor do replace my oil pan and from transmission seal and rear main. While engine is out I was thinking of replacing up-pipes and both exhaust manifolds. Do you guys recommend any other work while im in there. I only have 128,000 miles on her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

I honestly dont see a reason to replace the up pipes unless they're cracked or the manifolds unless they're leaking. I have replaced an oil pan once by just jacking the engine up. The donut gaskets go bad where the up pipes go into the turbo i'd replace them. Hope this helps
Old 08-27-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemiester View Post
I honestly dont see a reason to replace the up pipes unless they're cracked or the manifolds unless they're leaking. I have replaced an oil pan once by just jacking the engine up. The donut gaskets go bad where the up pipes go into the turbo i'd replace them. Hope this helps
Can you jack up the engine and just pull back the tranny to get at the oil pan? That's my main concern! How'd you block it in place when you lifted it up? Thank you for the help!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:17 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If the manifolds aren't cracked then I'd leave them but replace the bolts if theyre rusty. If the up pipes aren't leaking I'd still replace at least the donuts while it's out. Go for the bellowed pipes if you have the cash.

I'd just pull the motor. With a good helper I can have it pulled in about two hours. Much easier to work on when it's swinging on a cherry picker or on a stand. And if you break a manifold bolt it's a lot easier to deal with.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 08-29-2012, 09:00 AM

Another thought i had is also rebuild the oil cooler. Lots easier and less messy when the motor is out. It may not be leaking yet but a 10+ yo gasket and o ring is probably cracked and ready to leak.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnot View Post
Another thought i had is also rebuild the oil cooler. Lots easier and less messy when the motor is out. It may not be leaking yet but a 10+ yo gasket and o ring is probably cracked and ready to leak.

How would I go about that? The oil cooler in front of the radiator?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

Pull the engine. To properly seal the oil pan, the motor needs to be upside down for 24hrs once the pan has been installed.

As said earlier, the bellowed up pipes are pricey but nice and easier to replace when the motor is out.

I wouldn't touch the manifolds unless you see an issue with them.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:13 AM

Nope that would be the trans cooler. The oil cooler is on the drivers side of the motor just below the manifold. It looks like a 3" pipe that's about 18" long. The ends are just pressed on lightly and there's two big o rings in each end. Tap the ends off with a rubber mallet and put new o rings on well oiled up. To put it back together I use my floor jack as a press and press the ends back on. Basically stand the cooler on end and wedge it under the bumper and jack it up til it pops into place. Doesn't take much. Just remember to use a block of wood on the jack so you don't bend the cooler tubes.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnot View Post
Nope that would be the trans cooler. The oil cooler is on the drivers side of the motor just below the manifold. It looks like a 3" pipe that's about 18" long. The ends are just pressed on lightly and there's two big o rings in each end. Tap the ends off with a rubber mallet and put new o rings on well oiled up. To put it back together I use my floor jack as a press and press the ends back on. Basically stand the cooler on end and wedge it under the bumper and jack it up til it pops into place. Doesn't take much. Just remember to use a block of wood on the jack so you don't bend the cooler tubes.

Thank you I find this very helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.