Napa 6637 vs Ford AIS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Napa 6637 vs Ford AIS

Been running the Napa 6637 filter for a little while but decided that I did not like the loud intake drone it produces while towing so I started looking for a AIS system which I found used locally with 2,000 miles on it. Looks brand new. Anyway me being me I wanted to know which one was really better, so before installing the AIS I installed a vacuum guage in the intake tube pre turbo and after filter. Since the 6637 was lightly used I cleaned it out as best as I could with compressed air and did the same with the AIS filter before the test. Here are my results, the truck is a early 99 basically stock with 4" exhaust and a PHP chip.

6637 at wot = 15" of vacuum
AIS at wot = 18-19" of vacuum

6637 cruising at 70 mph averaged 5" of vacuum
AIS cruising at 70 mph averaged 3-4" of vacuum

Also test was done on the same stretch of road 20 miles out and 20 miles back. Wot was done from a stop and I used PHP's 80dd and 100performance settings which did not have any difference between the two as far as vacuum numbers. Based on my test on my truck the 6637 does flow a little better at wot but not a huge difference. I was surprised to see the AIS flow a little better a cruising speed though. I suspect this may be do to the ram air effect since my truck does have the zoodad mod. Since I like the quieter AIS over the 6637 I will be keeping it on but figured I would share my results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 02:02 PM

cool comparison
Old 08-25-2012, 02:03 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The reports I've seen are rated in CMF (I see the logic in your vacuum test too) and the AIS out flows the 6637 by quite a bit. The biggest advantage to the AIS is how "clean" it looks (all the DIYs seem like something a teenager would do to me...)

Also, do the "Fender Sleeve" if you're looking for the best performance
Old 08-25-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
The biggest advantage to the AIS is how "clean" it looks (all the DIYs seem like something a teenager would do to me...)
exactly why I got the AIS... Well, the good flow over the stock was important too.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
The reports I've seen are rated in CMF (I see the logic in your vacuum test too) and the AIS out flows the 6637 by quite a bit. The biggest advantage to the AIS is how "clean" it looks (all the DIYs seem like something a teenager would do to me...)

Also, do the "Fender Sleeve" if you're looking for the best performance
I've seen flow charts favoring both as king, that is why I wanted to do my own test on a real truck and not just a machine in a lab. My test showed me the flow and restriction of both in their installed state. AIS filter in the box and the 6637 with the obstructions around it. I am reluctant to do the fender sleave mod even though my early 99 has the ducting in the fender for it because I remember all the fine sand grit that would get sucked into the original filter box using this method. I think Ford changed this for a reason. The grit that got flung up from the tire into the box combined with the crappy sealing lid on the early99 box dusted alot of these early engines.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:09 AM

What brand of intake system did you get?
Old 08-26-2012, 06:22 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR View Post
I've seen flow charts favoring both as king, that is why I wanted to do my own test on a real truck and not just a machine in a lab. My test showed me the flow and restriction of both in their installed state. AIS filter in the box and the 6637 with the obstructions around it. I am reluctant to do the fender sleave mod even though my early 99 has the ducting in the fender for it because I remember all the fine sand grit that would get sucked into the original filter box using this method. I think Ford changed this for a reason. The grit that got flung up from the tire into the box combined with the crappy sealing lid on the early99 box dusted alot of these early engines.
Well, of course, there is the inner fender well between the tire and that hole (although certainly not air-tight sealed) and not directly sucking air from what comes off that tire. Plus, the draw there is supplementary to the snorkel (especially going down the hi-way with a ZooDad). I guess if you live in a very dusty environment, drive a lot on dry dirt roads, it might be an issue. Otherwise, I'm sure the AIS media can handle the dirt quite well

As you state, the only disadvantage might be slightly shortened filter changes, Not "dusting" as caused by a poor seal that actually bypasses the media.

As for the potential flow differences, I don't think it could make "one lick" of difference to any of us Freeing the engines ability to breath with free-flowing intake & exhaust is the important thing we're gaining.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:34 AM

interesting one would flow better at WOT and the other at cruising speed
Old 08-27-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Well, of course, there is the inner fender well between the tire and that hole (although certainly not air-tight sealed) and not directly sucking air from what comes off that tire. Plus, the draw there is supplementary to the snorkel (especially going down the hi-way with a ZooDad). I guess if you live in a very dusty environment, drive a lot on dry dirt roads, it might be an issue. Otherwise, I'm sure the AIS media can handle the dirt quite well

As you state, the only disadvantage might be slightly shortened filter changes, Not "dusting" as caused by a poor seal that actually bypasses the media.

As for the potential flow differences, I don't think it could make "one lick" of difference to any of us Freeing the engines ability to breath with free-flowing intake & exhaust is the important thing we're gaining.
You are right I have full confidence that the AIS will stop the dirt and do a heck of alot better job of sealing than my original fender draw box did. I have not ruled out doing the mod just don't know if I need to, one of the reasons that I did the flow comparison. You are also right about probably shorter filter life being a drawback of the fender mod.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1652 View Post
What brand of intake system did you get?
Ford AIS system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.