BTS torque converter upgrade replace stock? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 08:44 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BTS torque converter upgrade replace stock?

so I have 180,000 on my 03 7.3 and yesterday I was driving and I heard what sounded like marbles in a can coming from my engine kinda and I've looked around and it seems like the torque converter, the error code is p0741 and that is the torque converter

I've notice that it is common to replace the torque converter anywhere after 100k miles and I haven't yet, but I'm just curious if a upgraded BTS converter would work with stock transmission? I meen it just seems like there's no way the stock transmission can handle an extra 900 pounds of torque..

But idk ? Any input, or if anyone has replaced theres, any help please?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Banned

your right, it cant.

just an fyi, IF something has let go in your tranny, 9/10 its not gonna be able to just be swapped. you will prolly need the whole tranny redone.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had this same problem about 2 years ago after i had my transmission built. the torque converter came apart on me and i had to replace it. will the converter still lock up? Also is the overdive off blinking at anytime?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:45 PM

yea the overdrive blinks a lot, its random though. like I could be goin 25 or 60 and it will come one
Old 08-24-2012, 07:23 PM

mine blinked when the tc was bad and when it blinked the tc would unlock. if your trans is still shifting strong id say just replace the tc. but remember how many miles is on your tranny now so i wouldnt go spend big money on a tc. I got a billet tc from precision industries for 350 i think that was the price i really cant remember its been so long ago.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:56 AM

ya the transmission still shifts smoothly, but as you said it still has 180k miles on it, so it will probably need to be rebuilt soon right?

and if i wanted to get an upgraded tc, would i have to upgrade the tranny first? or if i just got a stock tc, then would i be able to upgrade the tranny eventually without upgrading the tc at the same time?

just curious, because if im already spending $400 on a new tc then i was thinking about spending just a little more to get an upgraded one, instead of buying another one when i upgrade the tranny.
thanks for the help
Old 08-25-2012, 08:54 AM

With a 180k on a stock trans. with larger tires id say theres a chance that it could happen but you never know. Also when ordering your tc depending on where you get it make sure you tell them its for a powerstroke bc there is one tc for the gas and another for the diesel trucks.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:14 AM

Here is the link to precision this is where i got my tc from. go to heavy duty on their home page and then choose ford. Then read up on whch one suits your needs bc they offer 2 differnet tc with different stalls. http://www.gopnh.com/

Last edited by B4SouthernMiss22; 08-25-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:05 AM

alright I actually was talkin to my buddy and he has a guy that can redo the whol tranny and tc for at cost, so right around $1k .. I think I'm just going to do that rather than spend 5k , even though ino it'd be better an from what I hear , people that have the BTS love it and people that got there stock redone wish they had the BTS, but since I can get it done for 1,000 I think it'll be worth it
Old 08-28-2012, 04:26 AM
Banned

If your not pushing over 450ish whp, then a stock tranny w/ built TC and VB will be just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.