Questions on possible truck purchase - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 04:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions on possible truck purchase

I have been looking to purchase a work truck and came across a 99 rc/lb 4x4 with 100k on it the other day. It is an auto which had been rebuilt about 10k ago with upgraded clutches, triple disc and a couple other things but nothing billet. He is asking 5,500 for it due to the fact that the turbo went out and he cannot afford to fix it, the exhaust and undercarriage have a nice coating of rust prevention on it now thanks to the turbo. He did also mention that the engine had a slight miss but wasn't sure what the deal with that was, he had replaced the injectors recently as well so I was wondering if on of them is messed up or o-ring washer issues. The body definitely has its share of dents from original owner using it on the farm but that doesn't bother me too much.

I am going to look at it tonight and hear it run I looked a the sticky of things to check on these truck but is there anything else I should look over as well with the known turbo issue? What do you think would be a fair price to offer, I wish I had results from a compression test and cct which would help alot but having nether of those I am torn on what to offer. A positive is I have access to free parts from a 99 and 2000 that were parked due to low compression so if it is just a turbo I can have it up and running for nothing. I was thinking of offering 4,500, whats everyone think. Also he doesn't know about the original owner but to his knowledge the truck is stock other than exhaust.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 06:09 PM

I went and looked at it again today and was able to hear it run. Even in 90 degrees it didnt fire right off and had to crank a little bit, drove it just a little bit and after the motor was even up to temp it still had to crank about 5-10 seconds before it started. It seemed to have a miss when running and didnt sounded a little rougher than other 7.3 I have been around.

When running the turbo does not sound like it has a bearing out or anything rubbing it actually built boost and sounded good while driving it around the block.

Is there something else that could be causing the oil in the exhaust?

Whats everyones thoughts on price i should offer, and without doing a compression test to be sure do the symptoms point to low compression?
Old 08-23-2012, 06:30 PM

Ask yourself this question first... are you willing to buy someone else problem?

You know of 2 problems, one that can be very elusive.

One way to test for poor compression, or really test for bad piston rings, is to run the motor and pull the oil fill cap, you will see a little smoke pouring out, if you see a good amount, heavy and steady, stay away from that truck.

In my personal opinion, I would not buy this truck. With body damage, a failed turbo, misfiring, etc. it is not worth it to ME.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:51 AM

Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards staying away.

I did pull the oil fill cap off with it running and put it on upside down and it didnt move the cap a bit or have any smoke at all coming out which made me wonder if it was something else making causing the problems.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:16 AM
Banned

The turbos fried and thats it??? $5500 is a steal
Old 08-24-2012, 07:31 AM

If I was sure it was only a turbo I would be all over it, hell i have two used ones that I can get for free to run on it for now.

Plus the body is a little rough, it has a little rust on on rear fender and some good dents from being a farmers truck including the i forgot to lock my gooseneck tailgate.

I do know where another low mileage 7.3 is that is being taken out for a 12valve swap that i could get ahold of for 2500.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Banned

$5500 is still a steal. this is a tough call though.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 AM

I know I can actually get it for 5k, but I am thinking I want to be right at 4k and would feel alot better about the deal.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 AM

Anyone else have any thoughts I can get it for 4k.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:20 AM

It could be worth $4000 in parts easily, depends what you want to do with it. The fact hes selling s 100k 7.3 that cheap concerns me. The rebuilt tranny a new injectors are worth a good amount of money alone.

Sent from my Droiddddddd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.