Gear Vendors Overdrive - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gear Vendors Overdrive

Just wondering if anybody out there has done this. My 7.3, 3.76/1 Excursion is used as a street machine with monthly pulls of my boat and WellsCargo auto hauler. But most of the miles are pulling an empty Excursion over relative flat country. I'm considering installing a GV OD just to increase my MPG and pulling power. Has anybody out there done this. Any thoughts?
All suggestions based on experience will be recived with thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

got one for sale sold my truck $1300 shipped
Old 08-23-2012, 03:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How far down does it drop the RPMs? I know in my truck with 35s, it dropped the highway RPMs to the point where at 60 MPH, you don't have enough boost, and your EGTs go up (more fuel to maintain speed). 66-68 MPH is better, about 550*, 1700 RPM, and 2.5-3 lbs, seems to be about the sweet spot.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:39 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I think diesel power mag did a review on how to get the best fuel economy out of the 6.0l (yes I know your wondering about the 7.3) My point is that they found that with the 6.0 the best fuel mileage was achieved at around 1960 rpms right in the middle of the torque curve. When they installed the gear vendors overdrive it dropped the rpms out of the peak torque curve for the final drive ratio and caused the engine to work harder to get the truck down the road thus lowering the MPG's. They said that even though the rpms are lower the lugging was worse for the MPG's as it had to consume more fuel to gain the power needed to pull the truck at the given rpm for the speed traveled.

Even though 1960 rpms sounds high thats actually the peak efficiency rpm range on a stock 6.0l with 3.73 gearing to where the engine has the least amount of strain to produce the most amount of torque.

Not trying to sway your opinion of their setup just trying to tell you what I read about it.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
I agree 2 k is the sweet spot.y truck gets better mileage at 70 then 55. So to hold 2k with a gear vendor you would have to set the cruise at 100

My uncle put one on his obs but it has a 460 in it. Gained a couple of mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 08-23-2012, 05:55 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Who was the guy on the forums with the lowered 2wd, zf6 truck with the crazy camper/tonneau cover? He installed a gear vendors on his truck, and always preached about getting the perfect boost and egt ratio. He got like 26-28 MPG if I remember right.

On a lightweight, 2wd truck with small tires (like his), I can see it being beneficial. But add in the extra weight of 4x4, an Excursion, and larger tires, and I don't think it would be worth it...?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
Who was the guy on the forums with the lowered 2wd, zf6 truck with the crazy camper/tonneau cover? He installed a gear vendors on his truck, and always preached about getting the perfect boost and egt ratio. He got like 26-28 MPG if I remember right.

On a lightweight, 2wd truck with small tires (like his), I can see it being beneficial. But add in the extra weight of 4x4, an Excursion, and larger tires, and I don't think it would be worth it...?
His name is "Big Dave" & can be found on ecomodder dot com. I've read a bunch of his posts & because of him I'm seriously considering doing the same.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

I have a GV overdrive behind a zf6 4.10 gears and I am turning 1700 rpm at 70, I get great mileage. I have 50k on the unit with no trouble.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:24 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Friend is getting 20 in his 07 V10 with one
Old 11-16-2012, 10:51 PM

Dang, that's really good for the V10. I had an 07 with 4.30 gears + 33's and it never saw better than 10!

I've thought about the GV OD for my 7.3, good to read this.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.