Coolant flush - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant flush

Well since I got the truck with 109,750K on it I am not sure the coolant has ever been flushed since there seems to be some black film in the neck of the coolant reservoir.

Therefore I went to the Ford house and got a new radiator cap and then stopped by auto zone and bought 5 gallons of Prestone, Prestone flush, and Redline Water Wetter additive. I also picked up the Haynes for 1999-2010 Ford Super Duty for reference.

Here is my question, does everyone think it will be ok to use the Prestone and Redline or should I use the Motorcraft FW-15 additive? Anyone use anything else?

Probably gonna order the 203 thermostat and billet thermostat housing from DieselSite tomorrow.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rascal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 03:24 AM

First read this.

Gooch's Coolant Flush Procedure: - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Then I would suggest going to an extended life coolant. The most popular and one I used is Catapillar EC-1. No need for additives or test strips. A great peace of mind.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
The link above covers just about everything. If you do run the green coolant I would ditch the red line and go with the MC additive or equiv SCA.

SCA's have been used for years, granted it was primarily for wet sleeved applications but regardless, and, unlike most additives IMHO, work. If my understanding is correct the water wetter is more for the drag racing crowd...

Diesel Cooling System Additive
Old 08-24-2012, 12:10 PM

Way ahead of you. I read the Gooch's post and took the Prestone and Redline back to AutoZone. Going by PepBoys and/or International dealer to get the HD ELC next week. Not going to do the flush until weekend after next while I wait for my 203* thermostat, billet thermo housing, and coolant filtration system to be delivered this week.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Rascal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.