How important are gauges? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How important are gauges?

Hello. This is my first thread and I have a question regarding gauges.

I recently purchased my father's 7.3 that he has had since it was new. It has had a Edge Evolution chip installed on it the day he bought it off the lot. However, he has always had the stock exhaust/intake on the truck but I'll be rectifying that soon enough.

How important is it to get gauges then if the truck has never overheated or cooked the tranny before with the factory muffler and air intake?

Oh. And the chip is only on the 80 H.P setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

We have an Edge Evolution on our Excursion, was there when we bought it last fall, and by compairison to the DP Tuner in the yellow truck, I do not like the Edge. How it makes the trans shift scares me, and I plan to replace it with a DP Tuner as soon as funds (and the wife) allow. The only thing I like about it is it's gauge display function.

Gauges are a must if you have any kind of tuning. When stock, the PCM is so de-tuned that the EGT's never get out of hand... add any kind of tuner, and up the fuel, and you'll start upping the EGT's, and melt stuff... and never know it, if you don't have gauges. I hope no damage has been done in the years it's had the Edge on it...

Even a stock trans should have a trans temp gauge... a good brand-name, properly installed, and watched... even an empty single axle 6x12 box trailer has brought the trans temps up quickly, under certin conditions in my yellow truck, dispite it being a dually with low gears made for towing. Just goes to show, you never know, unless you know. I didnt', untill I got the gauges in, now I'm an info freak.

DIY intake/6637 filter is great bang for your buck... it's the first mod I'd make to any 7.3 truck I get, and straight pipe the exhaust. Stock exhaust is fine, it's the muffler that bottle necks down to 2.5" and is the restriction. Unless you're pushing 400 HP, stock is fine straight piped. Larger aftermarket exhaust will only change the tone, and is the only real reason to change it. Bottom line is get easily get air in (6637 filter), easily get air out (straight pipe the exhaust).

Good luck with your truck... nice to know you get to keep it in the family. Both my red truck, and my old chevy mudder were bought from a close family friend, almost like family, I'm proud to have them.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:52 PM

Gauges are a must if ur gunna have any tuner.

The right way is to get a exhaust or cut the muffler. Then a intake. Then gauges. The a custom tuned chip.

All of this can be overwhelming for a new diesel owner at first especially I'f eveyone on here will tell u the sane thing me and Dieselcrawler told u.

Just remember take it slow u don't need to buy all this stuff at once.

Exhaust if u have an extra 350.00 or just cut the muffler off. Freeeee

Intake... homemade 6637 intake just a filter and a piece of 4 in PVC pipe. Works great 90% of 7.3 owners on here run them.... 60.00 bucks or so

Gauges. Exhaust, and tranny (only autos) are your needed ones and a boost gauges if u want. Glow shift 250.00 Isspro is alot better but is around 350.00

Tuner. Any custom tuner is good. I have a dp tuner and love it

Just remember just take it slow or as you wallet will allow u. I have to say once the mod big gets u ur hooked.

Sent from a Apple
Old 08-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the responses guys. I am on a budget (broke college student) so that's why I was wondering. I did order a 4" MBRP exhaust for around 300.00 bucks so it should be here by the weekend.

I did look up some info on those 6637 intake and that looks like something I'll get (I'll probably order it tomorrow).

I'll get around to looking at a different tuner and some gauges but for now it's kinda out of the question financially.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther482 View Post
I'll get around to looking at a different tuner and some gauges but for now it's kinda out of the question financially.
No thats cool, maybe by the end of summer break you'll have a spare $5,000 laying around for when you either melt down the pistons or blow the transmission apart. We'll be here when you do
Old 08-22-2012, 05:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. Maybe I'll take that Edge off for now.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:36 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
that edge should have guage capabilities
Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther482 View Post
Thanks. Maybe I'll take that Edge off for now.
Highly advisable. Gauges could be $300 out the door @ glow shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTractorsSexy View Post
that edge should have guage capabilities
Not all of them do.. dont only the CTS's or something? I'm not an Edge guru so I dont know all of the models.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:55 AM

As far as the 7.3 goes, you don't really need to do much to it to make it a little more powerful and have it reliable. For someone like you I recommend the following.

List:
-Edge Performance w/ juice (has digital gauges on it and on the fly tuning)
-Air intake pipe with the big Napa air filter, don't get the crappy other kits that are $300, its a waste of money (can't remember number)
4" turbo back exhaust
New wastegate to save your turbo (don't really need it)
Gauges for Fuel Pressure and mechanical boost.
Wicked Wheel Compressor

Anything else is just for your preference.

I'd also recommend a Transgo shift-kit and a 2 clutch torque converter for pulling and to conserve your clutch packs.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 AM
Banned

I wouldn't recommend ANYTHING from edge, bully dog, superchips etc as they have been known to fry transmissions, run excessively high egt's, produce smokier tunes and produce sub-par power compared to a custom tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.