New Truck, Need advice.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Truck, Need advice.... NOW with more ???

Ok,
So I bought a 2000 F350 super cab DRW over the weekend. Automatic trans, 2WD, Lariat, 200K. All bone stock. Its a work truck, and was used consistently to pull heavy loads. I know the guy who sold it to me. It has been maintained well mechanically speaking.

I bought it cause I needed another truck for work and it was a screaming deal. I am an insurance adjuster so mostly it will just be used to haul my crap and ladder around. I might pull something with it every once in a blue moon.

I am curious as to how much mileage I can wring out of it though. It has 4.10 in the rear, so the RPMs at 70 are quite a bit higher than our Excursion. I do probably 60-70% highway. And for some reason, the previous owner put 225/75/16 on the back....

So, I was thinking 6637, muffler delete (have thought about a full exhaust. Just don't know if it's truly worth it), and a tuner. I thought stock or taller tires might help some, but I really don't want to buy six tires right now...

Today was my first time to drive the truck for work. Put about 250 miles on it. No idea how much diesel I burned, as the truck came with about 2/3 a tank. Oh, the lie o meter is also broke.

I have a superchips 1855(no hating, I bought it a few years back for the Excursion), so I installed the Performance tune before heading out today. I ended up switching back to stock a few hours into the day due to a consistent moderately hard shift from first to second. That and being worried about all the what ifs.

With all that windshield time today, I started to wonder if I should swap the rear gears and if it would truly be worth it. I can do it myself although not working in a shop anymore would make that a royal pita.

So, here's the question for all of you. What mods/ changes would be the best for MPG? Educated guesses as to what mileage I might be able to get?
Is the 4.10 going to screw me completely at highway speeds? Which tuner etc?? And did all those 10,000lb + loads screw the tranny (read if i install a tune, will my tranny kick the bucket earlier than if not)

Thanks guys. I'll check back in a bit. I got to go feed the kids.

Last edited by REtyc; 08-20-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Update
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You could get bigger tires to drop rpms. I would. I only do 55 up to 63 and get about 16. That's it.

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
You could get bigger tires to drop rpms. I would. I only do 55 up to 63 and get about 16. That's it.

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Say I go as big as possible, how much difference do you think that could make?
there's a ton of room between the tires and wells unloaded.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm not sure, but you'd have higher rolling resistance then due to a wider tire, unless you get the width not as wide, and a higher truck with more wind resistance.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, so Jesilvas response got me to thinking and then googling.... way too much googling. Considering the stock tires (which aren't on the truck) are 30.4", and I could possibly increase to 33" with no suspension mods, I think that might be a way to squeeze some more mileage out of the 4.10s. Or I could go all out with 34.5"

My truck has a towing pkg, supposedly with an extra leaf out back (I haven't verified this) and the front sits pretty high also.

What is the biggest I could go on the stock 16x6 rims without leveling or using spacers? I've seen all sorts of stuff on this site and others tonight.

But now I'm really thinking about the whole 315/75/16 thing. Can it be done on a 2wd without leveling the front? I would assume I would have to level the front and space the rear.

Any experiences with the ebay spacers? Are they complete crap or decent?

I need some input guys. Help me out. Pics of 2wd duallys with bigger tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.