Truck Pulls - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Pulls

Since aquiring my new truck a few guys around town have been bugging me to take it to the pulls this weekend at the county fair....

My concern is the transmission not blowing to pieces...

I have a TW tuner so any input which tune to run it on is needed....

Or maybe I should just scrap it all together and not risk the large cost of rebuilding the tranny/etc.....

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
give me some details on your truck although my first recommendation is to not do it unless you can afford to fix it. ive pulled 4 times with my truck and broke something 3 of the 4 times.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTractorsSexy View Post
give me some details on your truck although my first recommendation is to not do it unless you can afford to fix it. ive pulled 4 times with my truck and broke something 3 of the 4 times.

'03 7.3 A/T.....TW 6 pos tuner....aftermarket waste gate actuator...K&N cold air intake....6" rough country lift.....37" nitto's wrapped around 20" xd's....

The truck has only had the lift, tires/wheels for a little under a year...so it hasnt been beat up too bad

Anything else?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Stockish truck with that much lift, Im gona say you should sit in the stands and watch..... Especially If you havn't had anything done to the trans.

Jim
Old 08-20-2012, 09:28 AM

Location: Lowville, New York. Studying Mechanical Eng. @ Suny Canton
I put mine in the pulls with my stock tranny and did good. I ran the towing tune on my programmer just so i wouldnt break anything (being smart). I didnt do good but i had fun. Oh if you start boucing STOP because you will break something if you keep going. The guy that pulled before me got lucky and only broke his hook. Good luck and have fun if you decide to pull
Old 08-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
its almost a guarantee that something will break with that much lift... and if you dont know much about pulling i recommend you read... some of the basics are lower tire psi to around 35-40 4 LOW 2-3 gear depending on the truck probably 2nd gear for you pre boost your truck and dont smash the gas right off the bat... do half to 3 quarter throttle till you at about 3-5 miles an hour then smash it. if your wheel hopping then let off the gas you will do MAJOR damage ive seen it a hundred times. watch your egts so you dont melt anything either.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I heard about leaving it in 2nd...and I figured putting on ektreme wouldnt be a good idea...I have the Heavy Tow tune so I guess that would be sufficient...

Thanks for the help...I dont have any kind of hitch though...just the receiver...is that going to be an issue?

One of the guys I'm friends with ran his 2500 Sierra (not diesel) and did alright, he had no lift but a little bit larger tires.....he didnt break anything, so i figured If he could do it, my ride could....

Take a look at my profile i do have a picture if you want to look at it
Old 08-20-2012, 01:32 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The issue with the lift isnt really the tire size..... most (not all) lifts use a slightly sfter spring with alot of arch, or they use lift blocks (In the rear).... and that is generally a recipe for axle wrap. Plus the larger tires will put additional strain on everything.....

Jim
Old 08-20-2012, 01:34 PM

Location: Lowville, New York. Studying Mechanical Eng. @ Suny Canton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt90 View Post
I heard about leaving it in 2nd...and I figured putting on ektreme wouldnt be a good idea...I have the Heavy Tow tune so I guess that would be sufficient...

Thanks for the help...I dont have any kind of hitch though...just the receiver...is that going to be an issue?

One of the guys I'm friends with ran his 2500 Sierra (not diesel) and did alright, he had no lift but a little bit larger tires.....he didnt break anything, so i figured If he could do it, my ride could....

If it Auto tranny put it in 4x4 low range overdrive off. Let it get to second on its own then slide it into the second gear spot so it wont hit third. Mine did that and fell flat on its face. You will need a 3-31/2in hook or a twisted clevise you can buy one at tractor supply or some store like that, to put in your reciver. When you get the chain tight and you have the green hold the brake down while giving it a little throttle to build boost around 3-5ibs then release the brake and floor it. Also if you angle your mirrors in so you can see your rear wheels. If you see them not turning but yet everything else is doing what it normally does your slipping the TC for auto or clutch for standard. If you have a standard most guys start in 2nd or 3rd so they have the speed. though id be cautious about doing that on a stock clutch.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt90 View Post

dont tow in a heavy tow tune.. bad idea. Tow in the Pull tune, if you have it, or else your hottest tune.

Also your friend with the sierra 2500 also has half the torque of your truck stock... your truck isn't going to stop when theres too much weight... its going to keep going and going until it either goes or blows something up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.