200 f250 super duty 4 wheel drive - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
200 f250 super duty 4 wheel drive

Okay guys so I bought a 2000 f250 super duty and it has the manual locking hubs as well as the switch inside the cab for the four wheel drive. Can someone explain the proper procedure to engage the four wheel drive. I've been getting different answers from everyone I ask here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
very simple...lock the hubs outside and flip the switch as desired inside...if hubs are not locked outside switch will do nothing for ya in the big picture
Old 07-26-2012, 06:36 AM
Banned

lol the only extra step over a regular on the fly 4x4 is you have to lock the hubs
Old 07-26-2012, 07:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does it matter in which order you do it?
Old 07-26-2012, 07:21 AM
Banned

No? But if you know for a fact there's a good possiblity of needing 4bi lock the hubs BEFORE you get into the ****, so all you have to do is click it into 4wheel w/ the switch.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:42 AM

So do any of these trucks have "on the fly" 4x4? Im only asking because i know i do not have to lock my hubs for my truck to kick into 4x4 and spin all 4tires.
Was camping last weekend and trying to back up a hill and it just wouldnt do it in 2x so i turned the switch to 4x4 hi and it went right up that hill instantly, never touched the hubs once. And no my hubs were not locked at the time, i checked and can barely even turn the hubs with bare hands. Basically stuck open without plyers. Need to tear apart and regrease everything.

If you have a manual it should explain to you how you should use your 4x4. I have never read mine mainly casue my dad had on 02 F350 and when we would travel over the passes in the snow he would never lock his hubs, just turn the switch and it was in 4x4, He expalined it to me that if you were stuck right then and there you would want to lock your hubs cause it can sometimes take a few hundred feet for them to lock by themselves.

You could also just drive it down the street with the hubs unlocked, turn teh switch to 4x4 hi and then step on the gas, you can feel teh difference between 2x and 4x. If you dont feel any difference then your hubs may need to be locked for your 4x4 to really engage.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Banned

lol.. if you have manual hubs, I can PROMISE that you are not engaging 4wheel. You might be activating the axle, but w/ the hubs unlocked there is NO physical way that you are in 4wheel drive.

Yes, some super duty's have on the fly, most have the heavy duty warn manual hubs though.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:31 AM

How would i know what hubs i have? They do not say WARN on them at all.

And are WARN hubs really any good? I know in the Toyota world (rock crawling is why i bought the truck to tow) they are junk and break left and right.

Whether my hubs are locked or not i can drop the clutch and ALL 4 tires spin in gravel as long as my switch is in 4x4, if my hubs were not engaged the rear should be the only tires to spin...unless i have automatic hubs?

But maybe i have a problem with my hubs not unlocking??? It does take a lot of effort to turn them hubs.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:47 AM

On my 2000 f250 the hubs say auto or locked. I also have the switch on the dash for 4x4. I'm assuming yours is the exact same. I have never had to get out an put my hubs in the lock position. I am curious tho why the option for lock is even there since auto always works

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Premium Member

factory locking hubs early 2000 super duty

Your hubs are automatic, or locked. On the fly, vacuum will lock them in as the wheel rotates. You can manually lock them in by rotating them clockwise, unlocking them manually by rotating counter-clockwise. Sometimes when the wheels are wet, then freeze, the wheel will not lock in auto. This may also happen if you have vacuum or bearing failure in the locking mechanism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.