trans kit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2006, 02:40 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
trans kit

I am wanting to put a trans kit in my truck I just replaced the trans with a trans out of an Excursion with only 30,000 I wanted a solid rebuilt trans but money was an issue I am thinking of the Bully Dog Trans kit I am wondering if that is the best one for my truck or if there are better ones also how hard is it to put this in I have done shift kits for race cars before that was no problem. I have a F-250 2002 7.3L straight pipe 3 inch exhaust with the K&N Air Filter system. I am looking at the Bully Dog programmer and Trans Kit along with gauges I don't do much rodding but I do Tow quite often and can't afford a new trans any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2006, 07:23 PM

Beware with modifing any transmission. I found out the hard way a couple of months ago. My 02 Excursion ran fine other than it needed a fluid change. I thought I would up grade my valve body since I had in older muscle cars. How hard could it be. So I thought. After the upgrade it was much firmer, that was until I was towing a 25' travel trailer. To make a long story short I lost 2nd gear. After losing 2nd gear I called A machnic friend of my he told me that there has been a number of service bultins written, so be sure to upgrade everthing or best yet is to upgrade when rebuilding. beware of upgrading any tranny with miles on it.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Nut
That goes for any transmission. If you have a bunch of miles on a trans and you goand increase pressures and such, yeah, you can have problems. More than likely what happend with you was your seals were worn around the second gear clutch piston and the increased pressures made theleake worse and you lost enough pressure on the clutch pack to fry them. If you raise transmission pressure you ave to know that the seals in the trans are in good shape in order for the trans to operate properly. "Shift kits" and upgraded valve bodies (which have shift kits plus other proprietary stuff) all increase pressure in a number of dofferent areas including line pressure, lock up clutch pressure, clutch engagement pressures, and the speed at which these pressures are generated.
If you have a brand new truck and have 10k on it, your fine. Anything more than about 30K, depending on how the trans has been treated, rebuild. Do it right the first time. That or wait until you can to play.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Banned

diesel nut, as far as an agressive shift kit i totally agree with you, but for the guys with 25-40k on a relatively solid trans, no apperant problems, from what i have seen, and im no trans expert....but i have seen a mild shift kit (no custom vavle body) and a torque converter make a trans really solid, any imput from a guy who knows more about trannies than me?? like i said, i know the basics, but i dont work on trannies daily and dont ever tear down autos.....
Old 07-13-2006, 07:53 PM
duct tape & zip ties

trans kit

I am no expert either, But with my experince from being a diesel mechanic in the Marines. Along with everyone telling me to raise the line pressure a little bit so the pressure holds the clutch packs together will help the tranny last longer. everyone I have talked to recommends the kit from bully dog but I am not partial to any brand or company yet. I have been told that when you buy banks your paying for the name. I am not looking at doing any revalving just stiffer springs in the valve body so it creates more line pressure unless there is a different way to raise line pressure in the tranny. right now everyday driving I have about 155-160 trans temp I am running what some say are to many trans coolers I have a total of three. The two that ford put on and the one after market one I have installed with the trans. This trans as far as I can tell is pretty solid I want to prevent any premature failure as I have had in the past.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:54 PM

No, you are right. 30-40k is ok, if it hasn't been a hard 40k. If you have a guy that goes and puts 150hp into his truck and pulls his back hoe around before wanting to upgrade transmission you are playing with fire.

I should have been more clear. 99% of the time if the truck has less that 30k you are fine, even with the aggressive ones.
After 30-40k, I need to know a lot more about the truck and its use ans service history before I can confidently say, "You will be fine after this upgrade." I just don't want anyone to be misinformed about a product or service they may purchase from me or any of the other sponsors. We are here for the members.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Nut
We are here for the members.
EXACTLY why i love the vendors we have....selling isnt job one......customer satisfaction is
Old 07-13-2006, 08:04 PM
duct tape & zip ties

trans kit

Ok I don't know much about the trans as for my truck it is a 2002 F-250 4x4 7.3L PSD. I have 125,000 on the engine as of this afternoon. I just put in a tranny from a 2002 Excursion 7.3L PSD with an Odometer reading of 29,995 miles. The Excursion was involved in a wreck and was a total loss I picked up the trans from a local parts yard near my house. They are a pretty cool parts yard they let me inspect the truck before they pulled the trans. The truck was t-boned on the passanger side middle of the Passenger rear door. there was no damage to the trans at all. It was an older person that owned the truck and hardly drove it. I pull about 4 to 6 quads on a regular basis along with an occassional heavy load when needed. I also haul around a 95 F-150 4x4 that is a toy it is lifted and used for fun I also have a 78 Ford Bronco that I occassionally haul around it to is a toy. So now that I have my truck back up and running I want to do what I can to keep it that way. My engine is solid and has alot of work left in it. So that is all my info on my truck what is recommended to keep it running for a good amount of time is what I need to know.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:09 PM
duct tape & zip ties

trans kit

Also keep in mind I don't have the hills or mountains you all have out there in Cali or the Hot desert Temps either. Most of the time here it is cold at least 6 months out of the year the other 6 months is what I consider mild and humid
Old 07-13-2006, 08:13 PM

How many miles since installing the new trans?
Power upgrades? How much?
How much city driving do you do? %?

So far I think you are safe, but with these answers I'll know for sure.

It is possible now that you have an extra transmission to save you money and send the other unit out for rebuild and then swap the original trans back into the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.