Transmission notch leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission notch leak

I have a fluid leaking from a notch under my transmission. The fluid is clear with no noticeable odor. I'm not sure why a clear fluid would be leaking from the transmission. I checked the transmission fluid and the level looks good. It leaks even on short trips. Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The answer is,,,, because it's Not coming from your transmission

Has this just started happening since it got Hot out? And you're using the AC now?

The ONLY clear, odorless, liquid you're likely to find has just Got to be Water...
Old 06-19-2012, 04:26 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Or brake fluid.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is there a brake line down there near it? (It's getting dark out and it's about dinner time or I'd go check. I haven't turned the AC on the last few times I've run it just to be sure that wasn't it. Could it be a coolant leak and I just can't detect the green because the drops are so small?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:12 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The brake lines run down the driver's side frame rail. I know it's not recommended, but dab your finger in the clear fluid, and taste it. If it tastes sweet, it's anti freeze. Close to no taste, and it's just water. Tastes like complete as_s and you've gotta rinse your mouth out? Brake fluid.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Serving Our Country!

Use a white paper towel then you will be able to tell what color it is, how about a pic
Old 06-19-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
The brake lines run down the driver's side frame rail. I know it's not recommended, but dab your finger in the clear fluid, and taste it. If it tastes sweet, it's anti freeze. Close to no taste, and it's just water. Tastes like complete as_s and you've gotta rinse your mouth out? Brake fluid.
LOL

Anyone up for a taste test?

Sure glad I can figure it out before I have to go that far... tho I know what water and anti-freeze taste like (accedentily), I have yet to try brake fluid...

Back on topic... hope you find the identity to your mystery fluid... without needing to call poison control.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:23 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't think you can be leaking brake fluid for very long without being aware of it... (I though you say it's been happening for several "trips")

I guess rubbing between your fingers would show if it had any "oily" content though.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took a sharpie and drew a line on the coolant reservoirs of the brake fluid and coolant to mark their current spots before I went to the store. Two twenty minute drives didn't show any any noticeable changes in fluid level but I did get three pictures of the leak. I think it's the line to the right of the transmission that's spraying it onto the bottom of the transmission, they're both wet. The substance feels oily but I'm afraid it's from a degreaser I sprayed two days ago and didn't rinse off thoroughly enough.

I was going to try the taste test but I don't think we're done having kids and my wife wants them to come out normal (a relative term in my family). I caught some of it on a paper towel but I can't tell any color so I'm waiting for it to dry, hopefully that helps it be more noticeable.

And yes, I've driven it a few times with no adverse feelings in the brakes so I doubt that's it (the reservoir is topped off as well).

Maybe the truck is just well hydrated....
Attached Thumbnails
Transmission notch leak-dscn9641.jpg   Transmission notch leak-dscn9642.jpg   Transmission notch leak-dscn9643.jpg  
Old 06-20-2012, 03:40 PM

Gonna bet it's a/c condensate. Mine drains from that general location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.