Leaf spring knowledge please? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 12:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leaf spring knowledge please?

Got a 99 f250 with about 163000 on it. I found that both of my back leaf springs are broke. The main spring is fine it is just one of the others. Does not seem to have any ill effects on the truck as of yet. But I would like to get them repaired. Does anyone know what the spring rate on the pack is suppose to be? Also does anyone know what the best spring is to replace them with? I am really not worried about the ride. I want to pull a camper and haul wood. So any ideas.

Thanks
Shaun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You should call a shop that specializes in springs. the spring rate code is on the door tag. a good spring shop can decode it for you...

good luck
Old 06-18-2012, 05:16 PM

When I bought my truck (01 f250) it had both sides broken as well, 2 springs on the left, 1 on the right. I just went to the junk yard and got both the full spring packs for 150 along with the overloads and blocks. The main thing to remember is that 250 and 350srw springs are the same the only difference is the block is 2 inches tall on the 250 and is roughly 4 inches on the 350. The block difference came in late 99 (I think) but definately 2000 on. Hope that helps, there are tons of these truck on the road gas or diesel, you should be able to find used spring packs pretty easily. A spring manufacturing shop could build you custom springs in any rate/arch you want but they're a bit spendier.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 AM

Thanks for the responses. I looked online on how to tell what spring pack is on my truck. The only problem is where the code for the spring pack is there is nothing on my door sticker. So I am a bit confused on what my truck actually has. I never knew that the 250 and 350 had different block heights.

I want a custom set of springs but I also what to make sure that they will do what I want to do with my truck. My truck is a ext cab with the short bed. I looked online for a spring pack and they range anywhere from 3300 lb to 8000 lb. I called Napa and they sell only 5000lb ones. Any suggestions on the proper spring rate for my truck?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd just pull a pair from the wrecking yard. Don't worry so much about the codes and rates.

If you want custom springs that bad then choose your own spring rates. The rest of us just put on air bags.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:12 PM

Im with the other guys, save yourself some cash and aggrivation, Go bye some springs from a junk yard or someone unloading them off craigslist, the only differnces from truck to truck is how many layers they used and if they have overloads or not. good luck.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bennett View Post
Im with the other guys, save yourself some cash and aggrivation, Go bye some springs from a junk yard or someone unloading them off craigslist, the only differnces from truck to truck is how many layers they used and if they have overloads or not. good luck.
Thank you. I just wanna make sure that they last. I just got the truck in November of 2011 and this spring has not been kind to me. I have put over $2000 in repairs into my truck. My wife has not been really happy with me.

That money was suppose to go into mods and a camper and I have got neither.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New-Diesel View Post
Thank you. I just wanna make sure that they last. I just got the truck in November of 2011 and this spring has not been kind to me. I have put over $2000 in repairs into my truck. My wife has not been really happy with me.

That money was suppose to go into mods and a camper and I have got neither.
Dang, sorry to hear about the bad luck, Im not sure how the springs broke, that is pretty rare espically on a new truck, But i think you will be fine with a good second hand set. Once you get everything fixed you will hopefully have a machine that will last you a long time without a lot of maintence.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The rates on my f450 were 4700 so that should give you an idea. Broken leaf springs are not that uncommon. most people just dont know they have them. Search Google for spring shops in your area. the shop here in INDY was only 20.00 a side higher than online and i got expert advice and the spring i needed. For those who use their truck for a car finding a set of random springs may work fine, especially if they dont mind a change in ride, but if your towing or hauling you want the apropriate spring rate.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavakilla View Post
The rates on my f450 were 4700 so that should give you an idea. Broken leaf springs are not that uncommon. most people just dont know they have them. Search Google for spring shops in your area. the shop here in INDY was only 20.00 a side higher than online and i got expert advice and the spring i needed. For those who use their truck for a car finding a set of random springs may work fine, especially if they dont mind a change in ride, but if your towing or hauling you want the apropriate spring rate.
My goal is to use my truck as not only a daily driver but also I help my father haul wood and I plan on pulling a yet to be purchased 22 ft camper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.