Front end bounce - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front end bounce

Like the title says i have a front end bounce that starts at about 43 mph and goes away at about 48 mph. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesnt. I just returned from a deployment and installed a procomp 2 inch leveling kit, with new leaf spring packs on the front and shocks all the way around. New ball joints, tie rod ends, brake pads. I also got new tires. 305/70/16 Toyo open country M/ts. Remedies ive tried so far are: Ive had all four wheels rebalanced and rotated three times and aligned twice. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 10:11 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Try messing with tire pressures... up 10psi or down 10 psi. See if that helps. If not jack up the truck and spin the wheel by hand. See if it looks round. Worst case could be a defective tire(bubble or separation) Most tire monkeys won't notice a defective tire. They'll just balance it again. Also is there an excessive amount of balance weight on one wheel compared to the other 3?

When is the last time you serviced the wheel bearings? How do the balljoints look in the steering knuckles? Could also be a mild case of death wobble since it is intermittent....

Last edited by garbonzo1991gt; 06-17-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: ****ing grammar nazis
Old 06-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is it while you hit the brakes or not? Mine bounces pretty bad while going over large bumps or stopping. Having such a long truck makes it difficult to not bounce when slowing down. Things like warped rotors or bad shocks can cause this. Mine is because the rotors are bad and I have the leveling kit with the leaf springs. Ford switched to coils in the front to help solve this bouncing issue. Hope this helps
Old 06-19-2012, 05:42 AM
Serving Our Country!

If i go up past the 45 mph range and hit the brakes it will bounce as its decelerating but only through that range. I'm thinking either defective tires, or a defective shock. It doesnt matter which of the four tires i put up front it will still bounce. Is very frustrating.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:50 AM

itfire344, i know you indicated you changed ball joints and tie rod ends but what you are describing sure does sound like bad tie rods. What about the Link rod that attaches to the pitman arm? Also, do you have any slack in your steering wheel? Maybe the gear box has some slack or play and is contributing to the bounce. but i do agree that bad shocks could be the issue as well.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

Bad tie rods would cause a front end to bounce? The link rod that attaches to the pitman arm was not replaced. There is some slack in the steering wheel, but still educate me on how that would contribute to the bounce. If it is the shocks how do i go about proving that there defective shocks so that i can get them replaced under warranty? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:03 AM

Is it a distinct bounce or possibly some vibration? Check u-joints

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will
Old 06-19-2012, 06:30 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvrider93 View Post
Is it a distinct bounce or possibly some vibration? Check u-joints
Its definetly a distinct bounceing, and not a vibration. Starts at about 43ish and is gone at about 48ish. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesnt. It does it more times than not though.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:23 AM

The only way you can tell a shock is bad is by looking at it and seeing if it is leaking. Otherwise it could just be cheap shocks or stiff shocks. I have the rancho shocks and they bounce like that. Not too much you can do unless you buy nice shocks.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltfire344 View Post
Bad tie rods would cause a front end to bounce? The link rod that attaches to the pitman arm was not replaced. There is some slack in the steering wheel, but still educate me on how that would contribute to the bounce. If it is the shocks how do i go about proving that there defective shocks so that i can get them replaced under warranty? Thanks for the help.
Yes, bad tie rods will definitely cause the bounce in the speed range you describe. My 02 started out as a small bounce as when decelerating in speed range of 35 to 45ish and progressively got worse to the point where it was bouncing more pronounced on both accel and decel. I changed all the tie rods, ball joints and link rod connecting to the pitman arm including the pitman because i install a lift. I also changed out the shocks. I no longer have the bounce.

As others have suggested the only way to tell if shocks are bad is to see if you have fluid leaking from them. Otherwize they could just be cheaper shocks that can't support the weight of the front end like stronger heavy duty shocks. In fact i am in the process of changing the shocks that came with my lift, i just dont like the way the ride going with some heavy duty Bilstein 5100 shocks. Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.