Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

whats best

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  adams01 
#1 · (Edited)
i want to change up my exhaust and intake for the sound.it pulls my camper great so not looking for power gains(yet!).willa muffler delete do the trick or should i just go with 4 inch turbo back?and what intake?i would like to hear the turbo alot more.its an 01 bone stock with 109,000 miles.thanks for any input.

#3 ·
100% behind the DIY intake, done that to all my trucks, and my buddy's. Exhaust, I'd just straight pipe it... and for a little more turbo whistle, remove the foil insulation on the CAC tubes... (the tubing from the turbo to the intercooler and back to the intake spyder). Personally, I didn't want to remove the foil on my yellow truck, but a power steering hose leak soaked it with power steering fluid, and I took it off, as it was a mess. Some increase in turbo noise now...

#4 ·
the diy intake?diesel crawler i see diy 6637 intake are you talking about the 6637 from riff-raff?as for the strait pipe just get muffler delete pipe right.and that will give me some good sound on the throttle?the reason i ask is some people say no difference but i cant hardly believe that.
this is my first diesel but this stuff will be done in my driveway.i try to evrything i can not to go to garage!thanks for the replies

#6 · (Edited)
Ya he means the 6637 kit from riffraff. 4" inch exhaust will help lower your egts quite a bit.
do you plan on getting a chip or gauges in the future? then i would do the exhaust and 6637 intake
All these things can easily be done in your driveway with common tools.

#7 ·
eventually.i will go with 4 inch cause my tailpipes dented up a bit.was going to delete muffler and come out in front of wheel but hate to soot up my new m/t wheels dealer put on.now will running 4 inch on stock intake hurt anything or will it flow well enough?
blue 99 stroker i see you run 4 inch diamond eye does that sound good?

#8 ·
Ya if you put the exhaust in front of your wheel get ready to have a black rim lol
the stock intake does not flow very well.. But the 6637 kit will make it breathe much better, plus the 6637 filters better than anything.
All 4 inch exhausts sound about the same. and yes it sounds good. I dont have a muffler but you can buy a kit that comes with a free flowing muffler if you dont want a straight pipe

4" inch exhaust is anywhere from 250-300.
6637 intake is 77$ plus s+h from riffraff diesel...and it comes with pre-filter cover.
so its up to you and your wallet.

#9 ·
Another vote for the DIY 6637 here.

As far as exhaust I went with diamond eye from PTP. I spray paired it black with high temp heat stove paint. It looks good and is holding up great. Great bang for the buck. Their kits usually come with a 4" down pipe too

#11 ·
I did the zoodad mod. in theory it helps cooler air reach the filter. but i didnt see any difference in mpg or anything lol. but why not =)

#13 ·
What year truck do you have? Have a cat? On my 99 (no cat) I just cut the muffler off right before it and ran the remander pipe (from after muffler) right before the rear wheel. Sounded great and was free!

#15 ·
I bought my kit off ebay too.
and yes it comes with all the clamps and hardware.
it is an easy install as well.

#16 ·
I hate my summit 4" straight pipe. Its too loud. I'd have been happier gutting the stock muffler and saved money in the process.

#17 ·
this is what i did, didnt get too much louder outside just more turbo noise. but the low end responce is much better!

#18 ·
low end response is better from a gutted 7.3l muffler? I cant see how. It may lower egts at the extreme ends of towing/tuning but there isnt enough restriction in the first place to effect low end torque.

#19 ·
i definatly felt a "seat of my pants" differance, my brother noticed it too. it wasnt huge but it was noticeable. it just felt like the turbo spooled up quicker i guess. which makes sence since it should be able to breathe better. I was just trying to help it out on the cheap :) but this is real similar to buying a can of 104+ octane boost in high school, you were just sure it had more power:rofl: but of course there is never any proof to back anything up.

#20 ·
my 01 dont have a cat.i was gonna straight pipe it but keeping my egts down when towing will also be good.ive gotta get guages to sometime.its gonna be a work in progress but with only 109,000 on it i got alot of time left.(just gotta keep a tranny rebuild fund also)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.