Overheating towing a load - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Overheating towing a load

I am having a problem with my truck overheating ONLY while towing a trailer.

Last month I towed my offroad truck, weighs about 5.5k with the trailer and my truck almost overheated(caught it before it got too hot). I pulled over and realized the PO JB welded the overflow back together as it was cracked and leaking coolant. I replaced that and had no problems.

Now my buddies mom needed me to tow her car from Phoenix to Prescott(pretty steep grades) yesterday. The cars GVWR is 2700ish and my trailer is probably 2k tops. My damn truck overheated again! There was no immediate place to pull over so it was ran in the red for about 3-5 minutes. Let it cool down and topped the system off(lost about 1 gallon). The rest of the trip I had to BABY the throttle and creep up hills, little hills. Once I dropped the car off there were no problems. Truck never gets remotely hot towing the empty trailer or WOT around town.

Fan is spinning, water-pump is returning coolant to the overflow and the coolant was just flushed last week. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks for your help

Cody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 01:46 PM

Here is what I was towing.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 PM

Forget to include truck specs:

E99, auto, PHP tunes, DIY intake, stock exhaust. I was towing in the daily tune until I noticed the temps, then I went to the Stock setting. Truck is on 285/65/20, basically 35s with 3.73s.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
check the fan clutch
Old 06-11-2012, 03:33 PM

Also check the degas cap. If it won't hold pressure it can cause premature overheating/boiling coolant.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce51d View Post
check the fan clutch

How do I do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickk View Post
Also check the degas cap. If it won't hold pressure it can cause premature overheating/boiling coolant.
The coolant was boiling out from the cap. I assumed that is where it should come from when overheating? How can I check if it is holding pressure?

Thanks for your help guys
Old 06-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Banned

if the engine is warm and you shut it down it it stops with the engine its shot, or if you shut it off and try to move it by hand with no avail its shot
Old 06-11-2012, 04:44 PM

Fan clutch-IIRC- with engine off spin the fan by hand. There should be some resistance, more when cold. Also, you should be able to hear it pretty well when towing, off and on. I think it is controlled electronically based on engine temp.

Coolant cap-have it tested. I don't know where/who has a tester but some auto shop should.

check this

Old 06-11-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce51d View Post
if the engine is warm and you shut it down it it stops with the engine its shot, or if you shut it off and try to move it by hand with no avail its shot

I can move it with the truck off, there is resistance but it moves. Tried that when I was looking at it yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickk View Post
Fan clutch-IIRC- with engine off spin the fan by hand. There should be some resistance, more when cold. Also, you should be able to hear it pretty well when towing, off and on. I think it is controlled electronically based on engine temp.

Coolant cap-have it tested. I don't know where/who has a tester but some auto shop should.

check this

$5 PART WILL SAVE YOUR POWERSTROKE FROM SELF DESTRUCTION - YouTube
It looks to be the original cap from 99! It cant be that simpe... lol
Old 06-12-2012, 07:17 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Wait a min.... This test sounds Backwards to me

When the engine is Cold, and you don't need air moving through the radiator for cooling, the fan should spin with less resistance because the clutch isn't engaged (as much).

When the engine is Hot, and cooling is requiring air to be pulled through the radiator, the fan should spin with more resistance because the clutch is More engaged.

So, on an engine whos temperature is now hot, the theoretical Ideal (but I realize this doesn't actually happen with this clutch) would be that it Should STOP with the engine?? - No?

The whole idea of the clutch is that it requires Real HP to turn that Big Fan all the time and, the clutch makes the fan work only when necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.