making my own battery cables - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
making my own battery cables

I am going to be making my own and I am going to be soldering on the connections so i want to know if this wire fine for what I am replacing on the 7.3l???

THE WIRES ZONE BC1/0B-50 1/0 GAUGE 50' FEET POWER/GROUND WIRE BATTERY CABLE BLK | eBay

this is getting more confusing...this is some research i have found out. standard in the industies

4 gauge diameter=9-10mm
0 gauge diameter= 12-13m

went and measured the cable diameter on the truck and here is what i found

ground wires= 12.34mm
crossover battery wire between batteries=10.25mm
battery line from battery to starter=16mm

so as a guess the ground lines are 1/0 gauge, the crossover battery cable is 4 gauge, and the main power cable going to the starter is 2/0

nice and confusing

Last edited by hotairgypsy; 06-11-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well i am no expert on this but know a little bit. that cable will probably work only becuase of the shear size. But really the best cable to get is the same TYPE as what's used with welding machines. the strands are much smaller, very tiny in fact and but A LOT more strands. This is for the Amps required. Cables with smaller but more strands supports more Amps
Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

Where are you located? You can go to your local Electrical Wholesale house like Consolidated Electrical Distributors and get some 1/0 DLO (diesel locomotive cable) this has the highest AMP rating per physical size possible. That would be your best bet for battery cables.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

battery cables

I've used welding cables, but instead of soldering i had lugs compressed on (~700bls of pressure).
I got mine from a place that sells welding/brazing equipment.
Going to relocate my battery to the rear with the other and change the air intake to install a filter in place of the battery.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Just make sure you use the same size or larger. If you relocate anything, you will need larger wire for the distance. DC has a high rate of loss over a distance. Crimping is better than soldering for battery cables. There are temporary high loads that can heat up the wire and cause the joint to become loose over time, especially when it's under the hood. For my system, the batteries were relocated two under the passenger door and one in the cab, I upgraded to 4/0 and crimped everything with tinned lugs. The crimper I use is a hydraulic crimper that you pump like a bottle jack, with something like that you will get a good connection all the way around the lug. The cheep crimpers don't always get a good connection, some of the ones that use a hammer just pinch one spot and you will end up with a bad connection that will heat up and fail over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.