Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Changing trans fluid to synthetic

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jesilvas 
#1 ·
I have an e99 and was wondering I need to service my trans and was thinking of switching to synthetic. Is there any thing I need to do to flush out the reg fluid, or just drain and fill with the other?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#2 ·
If you drain the pan and converter I believe you will only be able to drain about 8 quarts. I think the entire trans holds a little over 17 quarts. I had my Ford dealer flush my trans a few weeks ago and refill it with synthetic Schaeffer's All Trans that I brought to them. Some people will say you shouldn't run Schaeffer's in a stock 4r100, but Schaeffer's guaranteed me that it is safe for a stock transmission. My truck runs great on it and the fluid change alone lowered my trans temps around 10 degrees.

#3 ·
That's what I was thinking, that I needed to flush it.

#5 ·
Your right I just did not want to mix the different fluids

#7 ·
Not all flushes force fluid out. Wynn's machines use the transmission to pump it all out. As the fluid is pumped out it spins a turbine and shaft like a turbo does which pulls fluid out of a reservoir and refills the fluid at the same rate it's pumped out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.