Another CPS Thread - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 06:12 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another CPS Thread

I've recently been reading around on some of the differences in the different CPS sensors currently on the market and decided to give it a shot. I don't have AE, but had noticed that since having to replace my original black cps (with the blue/purple IH sensor), my Ex has not idled the same, gas mileage decreased, and it just feels "buzzy"/sluggish when accelerating lightly. I ordered two of the delphi sensors to try (hts101, haven't gotten them yet) and picked up one of the Borg Warner CSS1603's from Advance. Well I gotta say I am mightily impressed with the way the engine runs after swapping to the BW sensor. Feels peppier off idle, mileage seems to have improved (waiting to fill up for more exact analysis), and the engine is much, much smoother now.

So...now the bad. Started raining here and sure enough I have the problem with the windshield wipers on intermittent causing the truck to momentarily stall or cutoff when idling. So now I'm wondering if anyone has found a fix to this besides a different sensor? I heard the root of the problem could be a failing wiper motor. I guess there is a shared ground with the motor and a few different components on the back of the firewall near the master cylinder. I tried using some snap-on inductive chokes on the wires there to see if it was a noise issue from the motor or at the least to momentarily limit the starting current, but they didn't seem to work perfect. I had one hiccup on the way to work and then tried it when idling and it stalled out.

I'm stumped. Anyone tried anything else with success? I really enjoy driving the truck much more with the BW sensor and would hate to pull it just due to this.

EDIT: Wanted to add that after it stalled in the parking lot, I pulled codes with my trusty superchips code reader and there were none. I kinda figured I would have had a cps circuit related code(s).

Last edited by Caloosahatchee; 06-07-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 02:13 PM

Anyone any input at all?
Old 06-07-2012, 02:14 PM

freebie bump
Old 06-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There are many that have mentioned the intermittant wiper issue using the BWD cps; I have yet to experience this problem.

I also have a delphi hts101. the oring is junk on it. I have swapped it out twice between BWD and delphi for testing purposes and the oring is shot.

IMO: delphi idles smooth just as the BWD cps, not issues with wipers, mileage is still better than ford recall unit.
However I think the delphi does not quite do as well as the BWD unit as far as mileage and performance. It could just be me and its only slight, but I think the BWD gets a touch better mileage and feels peppier.

I put my BWD back in and its staying. I also have a IH unit (part#1876736C91), and it works good as well. No intensive testing though. It runs smoother, increase in mileage and power feels good.

the whole thing about the magnet strength and centering is a bunch of crap IMO. Delphi is as perfectly centered as you can get and I think has the strongest magnet. IH and BWD along with ford recall units are all just a hair off center but with different magnet strengths. IMO BWD/IH, delphi is the order I would choose. I am currently on a rd trip; I will run the IH unit for mileage comparo on the way home(have 1 more run I can test on); Hopefully I do not get another bad tank of fuel.

There are plenty of happy guys running the delphis though.

let me know if I missed anything. I do not have any testing done with actual equipment, just off what I know from actual use.

Last edited by INFRNL; 06-07-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:35 AM

Thanks I appreciate the input. The IH sensor that I have I purchased last year, but don't have the part number in front of me, doesn't seem to agree well with my Ex. I haven't tried the Ford recall unit so I don't have anything to compare it to other than the original (it made it for 160k) and the BWD. I have been researching the sensors and issues with them and I'm wondering if it really isn't a bad sensor issue as much as a bad wiper motor coupled with a more noise sensitive sensor. At this point I'm thinking about cutting the ground wire to the wiper motor and running it to it's own dedicated grounding point to see if it helps.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:05 AM

Figured I'd post this a little hastily. After researching some more I wanted to make sure my truck still stalls even when dry, so i went out and tried it and after a few minutes with wipers on intermittent it died just as wipers were starting to sweep. I browsed a few wiring diagrams and finally decided to cut the tape back on the wiring harness leading to the wiper motor assembly so I could get at the direct ground leading to the motor (black, heavier gauge wire). I installed another snap on inductive choke here along with the two I installed at the grounding point next to the master cylinder. I ran the wipers on intermittent for quite a while and no stall.

I say hastily because I don't consider this a definitive win, yet. I will have to run this set-up for at least an hour in the rain till I say it works. I will definitely update this post when I find out! If that doesn't work I will be cutting this wire and running it to its own dedicated ground (neg battery terminal, maybe) along with the snap choke.

Last edited by Caloosahatchee; 06-08-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:01 AM

Update. So far I have had no stalling issues after installing the ferrite bead/inductive choke on the ground to the wiper motor. This may be the fix to the intermittent wiper issue! I don't know if there are some people out there willing to give it a shot and test it out some more? I still have not had a chance to test the Delphi sensors, but I have them in hand just in case.

To detail what I did:
1. Ferrite beads on both ground wires at the common ground next to the master cylinder.
2. Cut back the tape on the wire harness right before the grommet leading to the cowl and placed a ferrite bead on the larger black wire (motor ground).

I would like to test this some more since it hasn't been as rainy here as it was the last week or so. If there are others willing to give it a shot too that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.