2001 7.3 powerstroke low turbo boost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2001 7.3 powerstroke low turbo boost

Trying to help a buddy get his truck back on the road. It starts and idles just fine, but until the eot gets to about 85 I could only get 1-2 lbs of boost out of it, and 0 when it was colder. So the truck has zero power when cold, but even when its warm I could only get 8-10 lbs of boost? I went ahead and read the codes.

P1316
P1247
P1248
P1211

Two things that I'm going to check first will be the valve cover connectors, and the EBP. I don't know what the reading for that should have been, but it was about 15 at cruising and about 30 at wot, sound right? I need a list of other things to check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check out this link for DTC Codes and meaning - Hopefully, it will help.
Ford Powerstroke Diesel DTC OBDII Diagnostic Trouble Codes- Powertrain P Codes | Superdutypsd.com
Old 06-07-2012, 02:47 PM

Thanks for those DTCs those where helpful. I went ahead and pulled the turbo out and the valve right before the downpipe in the back of the turbo wasn't connected? Idk where it's supposed to connect to so if somebody could get me a diagram of how that all works that'd be great. After I got it out I tried to move the valve with my hand and couldn't, but it moved with pliers. I know he's towed heavy with a chip before so I'm wondering if this entire turbo is cooked. The valve also isn't straight its got a slight bend in it? Not sure if its supposed to be that way or if the high egts could have warped it?
Any help would be great guys.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 PM

This might help. This is where the solenoid rod end connects. The rod should not be bent. The butterfly on the exhaust housing should open and close freely when disconnected. When everything is connected, the butterfly should be opened. They tend to stick which is probably why he has a loss of power. Also when cold; it closes depending on temp to help warm the motor up quicker, but should open when driving.

Hope this helps

EBPV shutoff, not delete - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Old 06-07-2012, 10:59 PM

Well that was definitely part of the problem, but not anymore I deleted the valve and gutted the pedistal. The solenoid was leaking like crazy too. So no more oil leaks, but I cleared the codes and took it out for a spin and its a lot better, but I'm still only pulling 14 lbs of boost. I'm starting to run out of ideas, but I think that p1316 is the root of the problem.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:56 PM

Some of these only see about 14 psi when unloaded.
if you still feel you are a little low, build a leak tester (a way to pressurize the ic tubing) and go over the truck for boost leaks. Sorry i cant give you a link right now. Im on my phone and cant search. Just search for boost leak tester.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbostang500 View Post
Some of these only see about 14 psi when unloaded.
Wow thats nuts, my 99 would put up 25 pretty easy Anyway I got around to building a leak tester, gonna check everything out tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:47 PM

I am talking stock.
Maybe your wastegate has been unhooked or the signal tube to the wategate is was cracked.

Stock you shouldn't see more than 18-20 psi. A lot on here have reported 14-16 psi on a stock truck.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:45 PM

Well I fixed a couple boot leaks and made sure the up pipes weren't leaking, but I'm still only seeing 14lbs. Whats weird though is mashing it in first it won't build any boost, when it shifts to second then it finally comes on? I went ahead and got all the pids from the truck and hopefully somebody can confirm that they are all in spec.

Icp Cold Idle 700-750

Icp Warm Idle 500-550

Ipr Duty Cycle 8.6%-35.5%

Epb Psi- Holds steady at 13 when idling jumps to 35-40 at wot

Map Psi- Holds 12 at idle jumps to 20-26 at wot

WGC%- 98.9% pretty much all the time, except on decel then it can drop, but I've never seen it lower than 90%

Injector Pulse Width- 3.6 idle 2.3-2.5 wot

I'm currently only getting two codes, one for the epbv plug under the pedestal that I gutted so thats not a concern, but I get a p1316 intermittently? Especially under any load though?
Old 06-09-2012, 07:19 PM

It might help if you let us know what mods you have done to your truck; what are we working with exactly.

Are you using AE for the above info? If so read boost from AE to make sure its matching your guage. Or are your boost numbers already from AE. I am just confused on what we are working on. We only know its a 2001.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.