Project "Fun-Ton" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 06:54 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Project "Fun-Ton"

Hey Guys,

Just got my new to me Late 1999 f350 DRW abouyt a week ago and I am really enjoying it. See Signature.

I sold my 2005 cummins prior to buying this one it had the usual intake exhaust and chip in it and I went pretty good especially with a 6 inch lift and 37 inch mud grapplers.

The thing I notice most and miss from my cummins is the throttle response or lack of turbo lag. The cummins had it before it was chipped but once I put that chip in there was almost no lag off the turbo from the throttle. This powerstroke on the other hand even with the chip in takes no word of a lie 2-3 seconds for power to kick in at wot.

I imagine intake and exhaust will make a bit of a difference but I guess Im wondering this normal or could there be other issues afoot.

I have done a little research on here but its a little tough with the obscene amount of acrynyms used with these engines LOL

Opinions wanted here. In researching I've kind of started a parts list to start gathering but Im pretty new to the powerstroke world so Im reading like crazy trying to keep up.

Goal is 4-500 HP but just

-Diamond Eye 5" exhaust (like the sound I know there is no gain after 4")
-DIY intake with AFE Big Boost filter (I think that is washable which I preffer)
-Either Tony Wildman or PHP Both seem good but depends what I need.

The next three should probably be done all at once because I think they all rely on one another to operate properly

-Turbo (I have no Idea what kind or size to go with)
-Injectors (I have alot of research to do to fully understand what Im going to want/need here Stage 1/2/ hybrid. Nozzle sizes and flow rate )
-Regulated return and Efuel system

After that Im in the dark I thinking there will likely be some supporting Mods that need done along the way but I got some time to think it through and research because Ive spent a little over 11 gs in the last year playing with trucks and if I mention this to my wife she may just kill me.

Let me know what all you experts think. SPREAD THE KNOWLEDGE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The edge chip is part of the problem. A chip from tony or PHP will change that instantly. Also a swamps idm upgrade will give you better throttle response. Intake/exhaust really won't help that, but they will become necessary with the other upgrades you have in mind.
Though I'd recommend going with tony over PHP now that they don't do reburns. Once you get the injectors and new turbo you'll have to get new tunes.

As far as what turbo/injectors/fuel syst that you decide to go with, you really need to research them for yourself. You'll have to decide wether you want to get $5k into this, or $10k+. The 400-500hp range in a 7.3 will land you somewhere in there, all depending on what you want to do with the truck.

Where are you located?
Old 06-05-2012, 04:20 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You're going to want a 38R, stage 2s, and a SRP1.1. Then, transmission upgrades.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:45 PM

Location: Lowville, New York. Studying Mechanical Eng. @ Suny Canton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skew12 View Post
The edge chip is part of the problem. A chip from tony or PHP will change that instantly. Also a swamps idm upgrade will give you better throttle response. Intake/exhaust really won't help that, but they will become necessary with the other upgrades you have in mind.
Though I'd recommend going with tony over PHP now that they don't do reburns. Once you get the injectors and new turbo you'll have to get new tunes.

As far as what turbo/injectors/fuel syst that you decide to go with, you really need to research them for yourself. You'll have to decide wether you want to get $5k into this, or $10k+. The 400-500hp range in a 7.3 will land you somewhere in there, all depending on what you want to do with the truck.

Where are you located?
Funny I have the same programer he does in my 99 and I dont have that problem with my truck
Old 06-06-2012, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
You're going to want a 38R, stage 2s, and a SRP1.1. Then, transmission upgrades.

Pardon my lack of knowledge but What is a SRP 1.1? I would guess something to do with fuel delivery but again theres those freakin acynyms LOL

Also, BD HD Tranny already done so I shouldnt need any transmission upgrades to do what I want to do. I sure hope not anyway because that one of the reasons I bought this particular truck.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:39 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
srp1 is HPOP(high pressure oil pump)
Old 06-06-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomer pyle View Post
srp1 is HPOP(high pressure oil pump)
ANd what is the difference between SRP1 and Adrenaline T500? If I have that right I see that recommended alot.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:49 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
price i know but beyond that somebody smarter than me will have to explain.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:57 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
At the TS event a couple weekends ago Unlimited Diesel had a stock hpop, T500, and SRP1 taken apart at their booth to show the differences in each. The SRP1 had been completely reworked with many components upgraded and enlarged over the others. They didn't have an Adrenaline there to compare it to, I have ran an Adrenaline with Stage 2 injectors before and was real happy with it. For the money though and after seeing the heavy duty and all new internals that go in to the SRP1 I will definitely be buying that pump the next time around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.