Coolant Filter Mod - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Filter Mod

Hey Guys, i have been researching the whole coolant flush and fill proceedure and adding the Coolant Filter Mod. but all of the info i am finding are threads back form 08 when a lot of people were adding them then. Does anyone know where i can still purchase the COolant filter housing and filters? I am preparing to do the flush and fill soon and want to install the filter then. i have read through Gooch's link that everyone refers to so will follow that proceedure, just looking for a good place to purchase the filter stuff and the Red HD ELC coolant. Checked all the places around where i live and no one has it, so will need to order that too. I'd appreciate any info on the Filters/housing and hoses Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I went with the one here:
http://www.dieselsite.com/

I like it, easy clean install. I haven't needed to replace a filter yet and I have run it 15k miles.

I bought the housing and used a touch of silicone, no regrets or leaks.

Enjoy -
Scott
Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 PM

sorry for the double post -
as for coolant, stop by the local CAT dealer. There should be one SOMEWHERE around you. You can use their ELC. I have also seen it at local truck stops too.
Scott
Old 06-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

ok cool thanks Scott. Also now that i am looking at this... because i will be removing the thermostat as part of Gooch's instructions, Guess i should go ahead and replace it... Wondering if i should replace with the 203* thermostat? What are the benefits? And yeah after checking ... local auto stores suggested the truck stops too... Maybe easier to just order some, nearest truck stop isnt all that close.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 PM

That's up for a lot of debate. I voted no, just because it was cheaper/easier.
Scott
Old 06-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

Ok, but why would anyone want to run a 203* therm. I mean what's the logic ... what's the benefit? Sorry for all th questions, just trying to understand

Thanks
Old 06-04-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfifeco View Post
Ok, but why would anyone want to run a 203* therm. I mean what's the logic ... what's the benefit? Sorry for all th questions, just trying to understand

Thanks
I personally did it because I did the housing (mine was leaking) and figured why not lol

But from my understanding International desgined it to run at 203 and ford decreased it to 180 for emissions or something like that at least anyways

Makes sense to me to swap to a 203 becuase it is a compression ignition engine after all. But thats just me
Old 06-05-2012, 03:27 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I recently replaced my water pump with a replacement from Riff Raff, then added the 203* t-stat, billet housing, and coolant filter from Diesel Site. Only issue I had was an occasional dribble of anti-freeze from the t-stat housing. Little bit of RTV seems to have fixed that. I've only had it on for 100~ miles, but has been great so far.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:21 AM

My motor has 428,000 miles on it and after reading debate after debate on the 203, I was on the fence, so I said what the hell. I can honestly say that extra 10-15 degrees on my motor did wonders. Maybe not so much on a younger engine that still has new/near new compression, who knows, but on my high milage engine, not only can i hear the difference in driving and idling, but i can even feel some difference in throttle once up to op temp. just my testimonial.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:39 AM

I did the 203*F thermo, thermo housing, and built my own filter setup like Dieselsite's.
I like the 203*F thermo. It does idle a touch quieter at full operating temp. Like 400k, I've got 323k miles, and maybe that's why it helped more. Also, Ford OEM thermo is 195*F.
Also, more info from me - Best hose routing for coolant filter
For the coolant, any brand will do as long as it has a spec rating of CAT EC-1. OReilly's has Peak's version. Final Charge Global. Be sure to get 4 gals of concentrate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.