Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Monitoring apps - What is available?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  MountainWays 
#1 ·
I've looked into the Torque app but haven't been able to find out much about how it works with an E99. Anybody else used this with a 7.3? Another app better? Thanks in advance for the info. Truck in question is in sig.

#2 ·
Just be aware, you're not going to get much useful, diagnostic, information from Any of them though...

I guess it depends on what you're after. Most of these things take the generic engine OBD-II info (little of which applies to our trucks who are NOT OBD-II because of their GVWR) and because of the GUI available in the device, can give you all sorts of graphs, pie charts, and pretty useless "Bling". :(

If that's all you're looking for, great! But they try to market them as Diagnostic Scanners & Gauges and really, can't deliver that in Our case (again, generic OBD-II not of much use). How Real tools do this is by Reverse Engineering the "custom" codes from each manufacture and that takes time, money and expertise you're Not going to get in anybody's "app"...

I see you say in your signature "Wanted soon: Guages/monitor" don't try and shortcut this with an app. Get Real Gauges and a Real Scanner, might cost more but there's really no easy substitute for it (like all that ScanGauge crap)

#4 ·
I understand that a true monitor or set of gauges would be best. Will these apps monitor anything important for us or is it all useless fluff?

#6 ·
It would be more helpful in a 6.0 but the 7.3s don't have as many sensors so for gauges you have to install probes, etc

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will

#7 ·
That is kind of the idea I was getting from the few threads that even mention it. Seems like the 6.0 guys were able to get a lot more from their computers and use it with an app. Is there anything we can get or is it all pointless? Good info so far. Thanks.

#8 ·
I don't know exactly what you can and can't monitor but it would be useful if you can monitor icp but theres not really anything else useful. maybe oil temp

#9 ·
I'm glad this thread popped up! I'm in the same boat as you, MountainWays. Let's keep this thread up and get more info if anybody has any.

#10 ·
:bump: Anybody else with any info on these apps for the 7.3? :bump:

#11 ·
Anybody? Anything?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.