Growl/Vibration noise? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Growl/Vibration noise?

I am getting a growl/vibration from somewhere. It is mainly when I am slowing down slowly at below 30 m.p.h. Kinda feels like going over rumble strips but not that bad or like riding on real aggressive mud tires. Thinking possible carrier bearing and/or U-joints in drive shaft. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Premium Member

does it feel like a pulsing in a way?
Old 06-01-2012, 01:00 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First thing I would do is to manually lock the front hubs IN (you don't have to be in 4WD, just so the front axle is turning with the tires). Drive it around and see if that noise is still there.

If that solves the problem you need to replace the Needle Brgs in the hubs (cheap & easy..)
Old 06-07-2012, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
First thing I would do is to manually lock the front hubs IN (you don't have to be in 4WD, just so the front axle is turning with the tires). Drive it around and see if that noise is still there.

If that solves the problem you need to replace the Needle Brgs in the hubs (cheap & easy..)
Front hubs are almost new. Don't think this is the problem.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:24 AM

On hot days when my grease is thinner, my drive shaft will vibrate at about 55mph.
It's almost like what you describe, just not terribly bad.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:13 AM

Drove it in this morning to work...hadn't driven it in a few days. Seemed worse right when I first started driving and a little better after I got down the road but never went away.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBandit View Post
Front hubs are almost new. Don't think this is the problem.
Yea, well, the needle bearings aren't actually in those new hubs

Give it a try anyway...

Maybe pull the ft driveshaft and drive it, that would eliminate the Carden & Slip Joints (and the Only way to really check those while it's out)
Old 06-07-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Yea, well, the needle bearings aren't actually in those new hubs

Give it a try anyway...

Maybe pull the ft driveshaft and drive it, that would eliminate the Carden & Slip Joints (and the Only way to really check those while it's out)
Appreciate the help and tips. Where are the needle bearings? I have replaced both front wheel bearing/hub assemblies within the past 2 years. Really feels like it is coming from the back end.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBandit View Post
Appreciate the help and tips. Where are the needle bearings? I have replaced both front wheel bearing/hub assemblies within the past 2 years. Really feels like it is coming from the back end.
Ahh, that's different The needles Are part of the Ft bearing assembly and I don't think I understood it was coming more from the back..

If you have a 2-piece driveshaft I would Definitely take down the carrier bearing and go over it. In fact, just like the ft driveshaft, often the only way to really check those U-Joints is not in place, but in your hand. Take the rear driveshaft down and give it all a good look!

EDIT: Have you not yet tried locking those hubs? I mean, it still IS the First thing I would do... It's just So Easy to try and, no matter where it sounds like it's coming from, your "rumble strip" description is spot-on for what they sound like when bad. - What's stopping you from trying it?

Last edited by NoRalPh; 06-07-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Ahh, that's different The needles Are part of the Ft bearing assembly and I don't think I understood it was coming more from the back..

If you have a 2-piece driveshaft I would Definitely take down the carrier bearing and go over it. In fact, just like the ft driveshaft, often the only way to really check those U-Joints is not in place, but in your hand. Take the rear driveshaft down and give it all a good look!

EDIT: Have you not yet tried locking those hubs? I mean, it still IS the First thing I would do... It's just So Easy to try and, no matter where it sounds like it's coming from, your "rumble strip" description is spot-on for what they sound like when bad. - What's stopping you from trying it?
ok just locked the hubs in and drove it to lunch...same thing noise is still there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.