Old wives tale? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Old wives tale?

I posted this in the OBS thread as well, would like your opinion.
A friend of mine who owns a 07 SDLB told me that it's good to stomp on these engines, stock ones that is. He says it helps burn up deposits and will prevent your engine from bellowing smoke when you throttle it. I tried this for the past month, just stomp on the gas as I accelerate down an on ramp and I did notice that when I do it the pipe doesn't belch out any smoke. When I drove my truck like an old man, easy on the throttle, and had a need to stomp on it to pass or whatever it would belch some smoke. Previously to my experimentation equals smoke, currently after my experimentation equals no smoke. Anyone try this and is there a theory behind it?
Regards,

Dwight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 03:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's called the Italian tune-up.

I think it's good to make the motor work every now and then. Don't need to run the pee out of it all the time, just every now and then.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:07 AM

Often times, when you're just babying it, soot simply accumulates on the inside of the exhaust pipe. Then when you finally stand on it, you blow all of that soot out
Old 06-01-2012, 04:08 AM

Not a bad idea.
But read up on VGT turbos and why it's good to work the vanes out all the time. That's why he's saying what he is. You have a non VGT.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Interesting, thanks for the responses. I heard it wasn't really good just to let any motor idle around, just wasn't sure why. I've also heard you can get carbon build up on pistons as well if you don't run the engines hard every now and then. I do that with my BMW's every time I drive them, can't help it, but I never tried that with my truck. Like I said, I just do it down on ramps and I will see how fast I can get up to merging speed and it's usually alot faster than all of the yayhoo's in front of me.
Regards,

Dwight
Old 06-02-2012, 07:01 AM

Italian tune up, ha haven't heard that one in awhile!

I agree, keeping it cleared out will make for less smoke when you DO finally hammer on it. My wife's TDI gets a regular workout of the turbo vanes whenever I take it for fuel... it's part of it's regular maintenance.

Scott
Old 06-02-2012, 05:45 PM

I baby my 7.3 even though I'm only 17 most would think I drive it like a teenager but I drive it like a grandpa I got my beater car to beat on lol.

I hardly ever step on it in my truck but I do get on it a little every now in then to give her some exercise and clean it out.

Sent from a Apple
Old 06-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrain25 View Post
I baby my 7.3 even though I'm only 17 most would think I drive it like a teenager but I drive it like a grandpa I got my beater car to beat on lol.

I hardly ever step on it in my truck but I do get on it a little every now in then to give her some exercise and clean it out.

Sent from a Apple
Don't ever drive it like a teenager, you must wise beyond your years. My stepson is 22 and he thinks he's a racer. Of course, his 3 wrecked cars and police record will back that up. He doesn't take after anyone in this family, we all have brains. Keep it slow.
Regards,

Dwight
Old 06-02-2012, 11:43 PM

Yea, it sure doesn't hurt to let it eat every now and then...get the cylinders nice and hot, burn the deposits off 'n blow the carbon out.

Plus, it's fun to surprise people in the next lane when you go roaring past them at full song. I've done this...usually let it shift into 2nd, then roll into it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.