Thinking about a 7.3L need some questions answered. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 05:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about a 7.3L need some questions answered.

Well im new to the forum but i come from S197forum and know nobody checks the introductory sections so i figured id post in here, mods move if needed. I currently own a 98 jeep DD (looking to get rid of for the powerstroke) and an 06 mustang gt (the toy). Ive been looking into powerstrokes i want to stay away from the 6.0 for obvious reasons but the 7.3's have interested me. Ive looked at a couple looking to get one already lifted, under 200k for a decent price, considering my mustang is an endless money pit the powerstroke will be a nice daily.

I found this deal its about 2 hours and 45 minutes away so i need tips on what to check for when i look at diesels are new for me. Im having two guys come with me who have both owned powerstrokes but went to cummins coming with me. Just want more opinions if this is a good deal or not, im not diggin the rockstars but ill deal with them.

2001 F250 powerstroke XLT by Regency 7.3 liter, lifted 8 inches sitting on new 22 rockstar rims, new 37inch hankook tires that have a lot of tread left, interior is leather with wood grain dash board all power windows, tool box in bed, towing mirrors, fifth wheel hitch, dealer inspected, have paperwork for the inspection and tires, crew cab no rust undercoated, truck has only 167000 miles for $15,200 OBO

The only picture i have as of now. Its not the greatest i know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 01:53 PM

Based simply on the year of truck, miles, options, 4dr, etc. I would say yes. The big things are how well was the truck taken care of. 167k is nothing for the motor, but if the truck was beaten and not maintained with that 5th wheel and big tires I would pay close attention to that tranny. Check for leaks and find out what was inspected and what they found. My .02

Meat
Old 05-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Also those aren't towing mirrors in that pic
Old 05-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat12 View Post
Based simply on the year of truck, miles, options, 4dr, etc. I would say yes. The big things are how well was the truck taken care of. 167k is nothing for the motor, but if the truck was beaten and not maintained with that 5th wheel and big tires I would pay close attention to that tranny. Check for leaks and find out what was inspected and what they found. My .02

Meat
Tranny is definitley on thing I know i need to look out for. The interior looks nice he sent me a picture today I just need to go look at it and drive it. I just didnt know If there were any problems like the 99 oil pan or anything big i should worry about? Thanks for the answer btw
Old 05-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolefanreed15 View Post
Also those aren't towing mirrors in that pic
I didn't notice that til you said somethin ill have to ask him about that thanks!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTS197 View Post
Tranny is definitley on thing I know i need to look out for. The interior looks nice he sent me a picture today I just need to go look at it and drive it. I just didnt know If there were any problems like the 99 oil pan or anything big i should worry about? Thanks for the answer btw
The oil pan can be a problem on ANY year 7.3 that is exposed to salt...
Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
The oil pan can be a problem on ANY year 7.3 that is exposed to salt...
Hmm I didnt know this that's good to know though
Old 05-30-2012, 06:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

Remove the intake hose to the turbo and check shaft play if it moves more than say an 1/8" it will need rebuilt, also tell them that you want to do a cold start on it i.e some places will start it before you get there, so that way you don't see the white smoke if any and also if your going to need glow plugs. The only other thing I would check is the fuel filter just take the cap off and lift it, if it's black the I would wonder about upkeep, check ball joints, u-joints and tie rods for wear those might help reduce the price a little if they are worn out other than that looks nice
Old 05-30-2012, 06:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3HeavyHauler View Post
Remove the intake hose to the turbo and check shaft play if it moves more than say an 1/8" it will need rebuilt, also tell them that you want to do a cold start on it i.e some places will start it before you get there, so that way you don't see the white smoke if any and also if your going to need glow plugs. The only other thing I would check is the fuel filter just take the cap off and lift it, if it's black the I would wonder about upkeep, check ball joints, u-joints and tie rods for wear those might help reduce the price a little if they are worn out other than that looks nice
Thanks for the good info! I'll be sure to check all that like I said its 3 hours away so I'm gona be sure I check EVERYTHING when I go
Old 05-30-2012, 06:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I wouldn't touch a truck with a lift kit. Too many variables. Make sure you take it on highway speeds, check for wear in the steering. Is there a lot of free play in the center position? Does it seem to swerve and need constant correction? I'd forget about it if either are the case.

Check directly behind the parking brake for a black box screwed into the footwell. It will be the size of a thick book. Is there a hole cut in the side facing the parking brake? Is there any circuit board or wiring sticking out the same side? You're checking for the installation of a chip. It could be good or bad depending on the previous owner.

I'd also find someone with an AE or snap on system and plug it in. Run the test programs. I will never buy a 7.3 without it.

Do NOT tell the salesman that you drove 3 hours to see the truck. He knows (as well as the rest of us) that if you travel that far, youre going to buy it. Instead, tell him that you're staying with friends/family in the area for a few weeks and thought you'ld take a look. Make it so he knows you can walk away without regret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.