Now it's "fun." Also, at this point, remember or mark or something, which way your flange points. There's a little ear in the pan and two grooves in the flange that the ear fit into. Either makes it to where the flange opening points straight up, or forward at an angle. I had to undo it the first time and fix it cause mine was pointing forward, but I reinstalled it into the wrong notch.
This is my idea to keep the flange up beside the hole. It actually worked really well. Only almost lost it once, but I'll get to that in a minute. The common oil galley cleaning brush probably would work better than this, and I'll explain why.
Once I loosed the flange nut, I realized that the nut wouldn't fit over the vice grips
So, I had to hand off the flange, so to speak. This is the point where my needle nose opened right as I was clamping down the big VGs. Scared the daylights outta me. After you take off the old flange, line up the new one and hand off again.
In that last pic and this one, you can see a groove on the flange where it will meet the pan. An oring fits in there.
There's only a few more pics, but it's all reverse at this point. Basically, you take the big oring, and get it to stay in that groove as you pull the flange tight up against the pan and thread on the new nut. HA. Yea right. It's annoying. AND you gotta remember to get the little ear in the pan lined up into the correct notch in the flange like it was before.
I'll admit, I still have a slight leak, but way less than before. Now is when I wish I would known this: Use some appropriate RTV silicone/gasket maker for two things. First, it's sticky and would probably help hold the oring into that little groove. Two, it'll help seal better if it doesn't make the groove cause I don't think mine is in there.
Then as you put the new nut on, I've read to use some thread locker, and I did just cause I read it on the internet
But I'd also use some of the same gasket maker on the outside right around where the flange threads meet the pan and just where ever else you think would help.
After that, put it all back together, along with a new o ring on the dipstick tube itself. And make sure to install it right. The little v in the oring faces out, not inward.