Hard Shifting...Good or bad - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard Shifting...Good or bad

I work at a vehicle parts store and I have heard both ends of the story. Either people swear that when your car/truck shifts into the next gear it should be super smooth. I also have people say that you want to feel ever shift and for a truck it should be hard meaning that the gears have caught good.

I just want to get the story straight.

My truck also shifts harder, is it a sign that the tranny is on its way out?

Thanks guy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 04:23 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

It depends, are the shifts slamming into gear, and right before the shift, are the rpms spiking up just a bit? Or is it a quick firm shift into gear. It shouldn't break your neck shifting, but you should feel a jolt or bump when it shifts. Main thing you want is quick shifting, and firm shifts. None of this where the rpms go up and you hear the engine free rev a second before the shift occurs.

Sent from my Acer Android Tablet
Old 05-24-2012, 04:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I used to work at a place that had a fleet of 7.3s. All of them were foreman trucks and kept very nice, they weren't the trucks that were beat on hard. I asked the shop one day how/when the trannys went out on them, since they all had well over 200k. I was told that they would shift harder and harder, til they were slamming into gear, then they would go out. As my truck gets older and older, I'm noticing it is shifting harder and harder at times. Beginning of the end I guess.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:11 AM

I have a billet converter and a tugger shift kit in my truck. It shifts kinda hard driving around town, but when I have a load on it, it is smooth and quick.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:27 AM

If it's stock and it's shifting roughly with flairing RPMs and slamming gears, not good.
But tuned or with a shift kit or valve body then it will shift firm and quick, but not hard.
Firm and quick is good. Less time for the clutches to slip which means less wear and less heat
Old 06-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

I don't notice any spike in RPM's so I am thinking we are all good. Just hit 190,000 miles so I am hoping that it holds up lol
Old 06-14-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
I used to work at a place that had a fleet of 7.3s. All of them were foreman trucks and kept very nice, they weren't the trucks that were beat on hard. I asked the shop one day how/when the trannys went out on them, since they all had well over 200k. I was told that they would shift harder and harder, til they were slamming into gear, then they would go out. As my truck gets older and older, I'm noticing it is shifting harder and harder at times. Beginning of the end I guess.
thats exactly how mine acted before it gave out
Old 06-14-2012, 07:10 PM

Keep an eye on the OD light on the shifter... if it starts flashing, and/or the OD button doesn't work, problems are on the horizon... that, coupled with RPM flairs during shifts, and you got some issues ahead.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
This is exactly what I experienced. Started shifting hard at around 250k, finally went out at 407k. Keep in mind it's strictly a highway truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.