Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cat-Some do, Some don't

6K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  doubleslottedflaps 
#1 ·
I had an '02 PSD that did not have a cat, now I have an '01 and it does. '02 was an auto, the '01 is a std. What's the diff?

#4 ·
California trucks came with a cat.

#7 · (Edited)
Not all of them. Manual transmissions had cats, automatics didn't. I ordered my 2000 with an auto, my buddy ordered his with the stick. He's got the cat, I don't.

It actually has to do with where it was made. Some assembly plants made trucks with cats, some didn't.
Whether it has a cat or not had nothing to do with where it was built. It is all based on if the engine met the emissions standards with the transmission it was mated to.

#9 ·
Thanks guys. I just bought an '01 zf6 and am putting on a 4" turbo back exhaust on it and needed to decide on whether or not to put the cat back on the new piping. We have emissions testing here and they will do a visual. Sounds like if all the std tranny's had them then I need to put it back on. I will do what was done to my '06 dodge and gut it, cut the ends off correctly so it will slide over the new piping and tack weld it in place.

Thanks again.

#10 ·
My 99 Didnt have a cat. My 06 did.......For the ride home from the dealer :)

#13 ·
OK, ELC and the Long Life Coolant (Gold) that Ford uses aren't the same as it's become accepted I guess. To me, there's the Silica based (Green) and Long Life (ELC). I won't confuse the two again for the purposes of clarity :wink[3]: (I'll just call it that Gold stuff) :p

But here's what I found though when trying to determine what coolant was in my truck (it looked decidedly Brown....). I discovered the best way to know was to go by the VIN for the assembly plant, and KY changed to Gold in '01, so my '02 had it for sure.

There are 7.3's With CATs and Without. ALL different years, not All going to CA. So, it's really Not just about the trans or some common factor like destination. Some CAT equipped trucks have the GP module (and certainly built for CA) and some don't so, it's not just about emission restrictions either I don't think.

#14 · (Edited)
Here is some additional information on which year models had cats and which didn't. This info is from SmokeyWren, a Moderator on another forum. His info is coming directly from the Ford ordering manuals.

Once again, here are the rules for cat or no cat on '99-up 7.3Ls sold in the U.S.A..

All "early" '99s had a cat. If it was assembled between January 1 and December 7, 1998, then it had a catalytic converter when it left the assembly line.

None of the '99.5-'03 w/automagic tranny had a cat. '99.5 began on December 8, 1998.

None of the '99.5-'01 with stick shifter and 230 HP had a cat.

All of the '01-'03 with stick shifter and 275 HP had a cat.

That's true with or without CA emissions tuning. That's true of F-250 through F-350 DRW pickups. So if anyone tells you different than these rules, they're wrong.

Originally Posted by Matt0987 View Post
I heard that on the 7.3l the auto trannys did not have one and the manuals did. How true it is I am not sure.
[/]

SmokeyWren------

It's partly true.

None of the '99.5-up 7.3Ls with automagic tranny had a factory installed catalytic converter.

All of the 2002 and 2003 7.3Ls with stick shift had a cat.

But none of the '99.5 and '00 handshakers behind the 7.3L with 230 HP had a cat.

2001 was the transition model year. Ford planned to come out with the 2001 trucks with manual trannies mated to 7.3L engines producing 275 HP. But they hit a snag, so the ones produced from July to October 2000 had 230 HP and no cat. The engineers could make the 7.3L meet the EPA requirements without a cat @ 250 HP produced by the 2001 engines with automatic tranny or the 230 HP produced by the 7.3L engines with the ZF hand shaker. But bumping the power up to 275 ponies required a cat.

Ford changed to the 275 HP and cats about October, 2000. So the "early" 2001s with stick shift didn't have a cat, but the later ones all did. So all the '01-up 7.3L trucks with 275 HP had a cat.

#15 ·
I have always wondered if my truck came with a cat or not since I bought it with a 4" turbo back straight pipe. I've got an 01 rated at 275 with a 6 speed so I guess when they decide my county needs to participate in DEQ testing I'll need to either move or make up a dummy cat:D.

#16 ·
My early 99 (7/98) did have a cat.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#17 ·
My 2002 is auto and had no cat on it when it was stock

Sent from my DROID BIONIC while wasting time at work...

#18 ·
My e99 had a cat but I cut it off for my 4 in exhaust.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#21 · (Edited)
My 01 has a cat It was bought new from a dealer in Shreveport Louisiana. It is a stick shift. It is a June 2001 build.

My 02 does not have a cat. It was bought new from a dealer in Dallas Texas. It is an auto trans. It is a October 2001 Build.

My 95 has a cat. It was bought new from Gray Daniels Ford in Brandon Mississippi. It is an auto trans. It came off the line the very first day of the 95 model year. It might even be the first 95 7.3 made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.