Phoenix Chip - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 05:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Phoenix Chip

Over the course of the last year I have slowly been upgrading my truck as money allows. Started with a new Cold air intake, then added the 4" turbo back exhaust. Next an Edge Insight CS to monitor what's going on and now I am ready for my next upgrade. I am planning on ordering form PHP and was just wondering which daily driver tune 65 or 80 seems to get the best MPG for those running it. thanks for any advice The truck is a 2000 CC SB 4wd AT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Take a look at the performance section of the 7.3l forum. I'd recommend against a chip from PHP at this point. They may be less expensive, but their customer service and turn around time is atrocious.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:35 AM

That is true but as for the question at hand I actually just talked to bill yesterday about this issue and he said he recommends the 80 hp daily driver

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 05-18-2012, 10:37 AM

Seems to be the 80 DD for city mpg and the 100 perf for freeway mpg.

I ordered my PHP on May 2nd and according to USPS it is out for delivery today. I didn't even try the phone call method but that's old school anyways. They have been very responsive via their forum.

I am into mpg. Stock tires, lowered back, tonneau etc. and I chose stock, 65 tow (7500-10000 lb trailer), 80dd with whisper idle, 80dd regular, 100 perf, and no-start with high idle. I am not a racer or smoker kid, this is a daily driver and tow pig.

The blended tunes are an awesome concept. The 80dd/whisper means as soon as the engine comes off of idle it is the regular 80dd tune. The nostart/hi-idle means that if the engine is off the engine won't start but if I select that position while the engine is running then the engine goes up to an 1100 rpm idle.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
Over the course of the last year I have slowly been upgrading my truck as money allows. Started with a new Cold air intake, then added the 4" turbo back exhaust. Next an Edge Insight CS to monitor what's going on and now I am ready for my next upgrade. I am planning on ordering form PHP and was just wondering which daily driver tune 65 or 80 seems to get the best MPG for those running it. thanks for any advice The truck is a 2000 CC SB 4wd AT.
Does the edge have a EGT Pyro?

If it does, I say go for the tuner, I am nothing but happy with my tunes from PHP... I used their tow tunes for a good size camper that I towed through the mountains and the EGTs were fine, and plenty of power.

I actually get better mileage with my chip on the 100 performance tune, but I drive very aggressively and am in the mountains/hills.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

EGT Pyro is going on soon, definitely before any tunes are ordered. The truck is used for towing a 30 ft fifth wheel and hauling kids. Stock tires and tonneau pro trifold cover. Not driven daily but often enough I want all the MPG I can get. Havn't heard of the "blended" tunes but sounds like something I might like. Thanks for all the input. Keep the opinions coming, thanks.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:51 PM

x2 on PHP being slow. If you are in no hurry to get the chip and you don't think you'll need to be in touch with them at all I would say to go ahead with it, as they do offer a great product at a great price. I don't mind the slow order processing, I just wish the CS aspect was a little quicker.

Anyways, I went with a high idle / 65 tow combo tune. Kinda cool. And of course a stock, no start, 100 perf, 120 race, and smoke. For anyone wondering, I do not recommend the smoke at all, pretty useless. The novelty will wear off immediately and if you want to be an *** and smoke out your buddy the 120 will do the same thing. lol. (Note: Don't lecture me about smoke, I never blow any in public.)

I drive a 6 speed and usually cruise in 100 perf. I don't know if I saw any mileage gains, but I certainly didn't lose any... which is good enough for me considering the performance gained.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
When my truck was all stock i saw my best mileage with the 80dd tune, I also got good mileage from the 100 performance tune but it's had to keep your foot out of it, especially with the way bill writes the tunes unlike some tuners who feel like the pedal is an on/off switch the truck feels like is almost stock until you romp on it then it just keeps on pulling
Old 07-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Phoenix chip recieved!

Finally got around to ordering my chip, turnaround time on my order was less than 2 weeks. That was very acceptable to me, considering they were closed on vacation when I ordered so they were already behind. Can't wait to get it installed this weekend and try it out. Thanks to everyone for their input. I went with WH, Stock, 40 tow, 65 tow, 80dd, and 100 perf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.